How do I create a tier land? I own several parcels and instead of renting id like to have a tier

Alkebulann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all, Id like to know how to create tiered land or land with a tier. I currently own parcels and instead of renting them using rental boxes, id like to have customers buy the land with an ongoing tier. How do I go about that? It seems if I put the land up for sale, it will belong to the new owner so how can I make them pay a tier or take the land back if they don't pay. I've looked through the site and can't find anything about. Even wiki information of tier land just describes it but doesn't tell how to create. Would I need to own a whole region to do so and not just individual parcels? Please please let me know

8 answers to this question

Your use of the word "tier" lets me think you do not know what it means. Let me just say, it has NOTHING to do with how your land is organized. Its a term used for the monthly payment  one has to make for their land, which is organized in steps.

You also do not "create" land. You either rent it from another resident or directly from LL. If you want to open your own rental business, its of course less complicated if you rent directly from LL.

"Tier" is a land fee payment level.  The land doesn't have a tier.  You do, just as you have a tax bracket in RL.Your tier depends on how much land you own.

The owner of land on the mainland pays the land fees.  The owner of a private region or estate pays the land fees.  Anyone else rents from a landowner.  So, if you want someone to pay you a monthly fee for living on land, you need to own the land and rent it to the person.  It gets a little confusing until you think about it a bit. 

If you own a full private region, for example, you are responsible for paying the full monthly land fees ($295) to Linden Lab yourself.  You can deed parcels of the region to other people if you like, but the land is still yours, so you are still responsible for paying LL.  People who live on those parcels behave as if they own the land, but they are paying you rent.  You set the covenant for the region, which means that you determine whether other people can terraform, allow scripts to run, set ban lines, etc.  If they violate the rules, you can reclaim the land at any time because it's really your land.

The same is true if you own parcels on the mainland.  You may rent them, or subdivide them and rent parts, but you are still responsible for the monthly land fees unless you sell the parcels outright.

Through all of this, YOUR tier depends on how much land you own.  A renter doesn't have any tier because he doesn't own anything.

• Like 1

Ok let me clarify what I mean since it's a given that one can't create land lol. What I mean is what if you already own parcels and pay monthly tier to linden labs. Instead of putting a rental box directly on the land and renting it that way, I want a customer to be able to buy the land for a very low price and pay a weekly/ monthly tier to me. Still technically renting however with a rental box a tenant doesn't have any parcel rights. However if they buy the land for say $350 and then pay $850 a week to me. How does one do that? I have land that I purchased for $350 and have all parcel rights and listed as the owner but I pay $850 a week in tier at their main office. How do I do that for if I put the land up for sale, a person will obviously buy it. How do force them I pay the weekly rent/tier if they're listed as the land owner now? How do I take the land back of they don't pay the rent/tier in a certain amount of time. Is that a little clearer?

See my answer, above. You either own the land, or you don't. If you own the land, you pay monthly land fees to Linden Lab that are based on your tier (which, in turn, is based on the total amount of land you own). Anyone living on your land pays rent to you. If you "own" less than a full region of a private estate, you are paying rent to the region owner, who is paying Linden Lab's monthly fees. As far as Linden Lab is concerned, the region owner is the one who pays the bills and, according to TOS Sect 4.8, he makes the rules for all tenants on the region.

Hi again. I currently own several parcels but not a whole region and I pay monthly tier directly to linden land not a region owner. There are many properties throughout SL like one big property I rent that allows you to buy the land for a cheap price and pay rent to the region owner. Pertaining to the land I actually own and pay monthly tier to linden lab for, how do I do the same thing for. The lad that I actually own is on a region that doesn't have an owner when you look at who owns the region and I got most of the land through SL land auctions. The type of purchased land but pay a tier to the region own instead of linden labs definitely exists since I have one now plus the properties I actually bought through the auction. So I'm guess you can only do that if your a region owner even if you own the land and pay monthly tier directly to linden labs?

If you are paying land fees (again, that's not the same thing as tier) directly to Linden Lab for less than a full region, then you are on the mainland. The entire mainland is a single estate owned by Linden Lab and you are a renter, despite what the words on About Land say. You are free to rent your parcel to someone else, or you may subdivide it and rent out less than the whole thing. Your sublet tenants may pay you to live there, but you are still responsible for paying LL.

The basic answer is, you cannot do what you want.  Only LL can collect land fees without using rental boxes.  The rest of us have to use them, or provide some other method of payment.  One estate owner I know allows her tenants to pay either in $L using an in-world payment kiosk, or in $USD to her PayPal account.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3417 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.