Question about Mesh Prices

JoJo Aurelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know why some full perm mesh is really really expensive and other's isn't. Is it because it's a better quality mesh product? I've bought both expensive and cheaper, but my naked eye can't tell the difference. Would someone else know? I'm so curious about that. How can a FP dress be $250 by one mesh maker and $2500 for another.

I pick prices out of a hat, personally.

But, in all seriousness, there isn't much rhyme or reason to the entire process, when you look at it globally. Lots of things factor in, or can. It could be a seller trying to merely make up overhead costs, someone trying to make a rl income, someone who just wants to sell for the fun of selling, regardless of profit...I could go on for days I bet. Not much point in trying to figure out why people charge what they do. Well, I've never thought there was much point to it, I could be entirely wrong though.

I tend to not follow market value, though some might suggest this is the driving force behind all pricing. I don't share that opinion, in nearly all instances, but most especially in sl. Market value has too many variables too. You might give yourself a migraine trying to figure it all out. In which case, I recommend caffeine, a nap, and the understanding that you'll never make sense of it all :D

Faye Feldragonne wrote:

Does anyone know why some full perm mesh is really really expensive and other's isn't. Is it because it's a better quality mesh product? I've bought both expensive and cheaper, but my naked eye can't tell the difference. Would someone else know? I'm so curious about that. How can a FP dress be $250 by one mesh maker and $2500 for another.

A low-priced template will tend to increase the number of resellers, making it become very common and familiar and which in turn "breeds contempt." Clothing makers who select templates based on price probably won't have the highest skills which will mean the template may become associated with low quality work. If the same template is in many people's hands with full permissions that will increase the possibility that someone will start distributing it full-perm to their friends, etc. Also, no clothing maker will want to price creations higher than the price of the template itself because savvy prospective buyers could get basically the same product for less with more options.

The glut issues makes sense, too. Everyone is giving a hand to texturing mesh and the mystique of making clothings in Second Life is long gone. It's easier to drop a texture on a mesh object than fool around with the original templates and create 3d clothing without the benefit of 3d mesh. In my years here, I've never seen so many new designers cropping up all over.

I've also seen some really cleaver new designers who've turned this medium into an entirely different clothing experience. As always the talent in SL is underrated. It's just amazing.

• 11 months later...

I didn't want to necro this topic but i came to forum for almost same themes.

From my experience difference in final of cheap price are:

People treat cheap templates like yard sale item.i fully agree with previous opinions about too much full perms cause the random share them to random ppl.

People who can easy buy full perm from money they could spend on final product in any other store , don't feel nothing to this template. They start to go against TOS , spread template to 50 of friends, make mistakes like put copy mod into demo , ignoring creator of template , steal templates, re sell templates , even sell them in private mode cheaper to anyone. Ppl who steal templartes become rediculously agressive,rude and annoying , acting rude when real creator report on them for stealing their copyright item and break tos.

So it cause the item who would bring 50 sells for example, to only get 1 sell.All templates spread all over and disrespectfully devaluate the creator.Of cause creator become sick of this and increase price to cut off the customers who must not be allowed to full perms , like thiefs for examples or jusr rude ppl who easy can start war by spreading templates asap.

Main reason of hight prices are self respect,self protection. Not allways is a quality.The quality of mesh is not only look of it but also comfort of scripting it , comfort of texturing it, normal UV,goodies included in kit.And after all the case do creator even understand he is creating cause i've seen so strange,out of logic,abnormal styles of meshing .....or absolute untexturable meshes cause of their UV. Plus the mesh ideas,mesh interesting level.

But actual and global reason - noone care. Ppl mostly don't respect creator's time,hard work,wasting time,spit on him and his work,making drama,holy wars,trolling,try to beat money from creator back.And creator feel himself as a cheap crap used by everyone and don't getting nothing back for it. And not all the time but often,creators are not greedy bastards, but they are usual ppl who pay bills by this work. I myself work 14 hours a day, 24/7 , i don't eat , i sleep bad, i'm nervous and depressed.I put everything into my work cause it's my only work and all i get back is peeeeeeeeeep. So as other creators. So big price can count a fair price depending on the time and mental powers u put into it. Maybe some of creators have co-creators and this work for them is pretty easy and comfort and they are ok for selling their creatiins for 1cent..It's their buisness.But i myself would better abandon sl then work 24/7 and 14 hours a day to get 10cents for it. I'm not masochist. And ppl don't care cause they don't know what hard work is it. So they easy spit on top of your work and low price make it worth.

And after all of this ppl do a pressing to full perm creators because of too hight price. As example one of my customer contacted me after my global changes to prevent this issues i wrote and told my prices are too hight allready (350L$) and i must not increase price to protect myself with fair price . you know why? Because he have no money for templates.So i must not increase prices and more of it , i must reduce them even more, and almost sell it by one cent . And it show ignorance and disrespect cause he don't care about me either. And only reason i must do it because other creator sell it cheaper. This ruins economic by itself. Cause template ciunt as crap without value.

Ppl don't understand value of full perms and want it to coast them nothing. They set up their profit on a work of others and act rude afterwards. Also cheap price make the marketplace get tons of bad textured items. Cause big price mean that only buisness owners or talented texture artists who have buisness buy it. But cheap price mean everyone,just literally everyone can do it. But value of full perms it's POSSABILITY on first place for ppl who can't create mesh  and it must have big price. Cause it's finished template, not just final tube dress by 50L.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.