My Second Life causes my entire network to slow-down?

Kula Quan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello!

My problem is that recently Second Life causes my entire network to slow down and I'm periodically unable to pull up any websites with -any- browser.  (the error message I get is as folows: "Firefox can't find the server at community.secondlife.com.")Also, I FREQUENTLY get disconnected on teleporting. By frequently I mean 50% of the time It disconnects me.

This is a really frustrating problem and I've tried tweaking my router, port opening and more. I can't find a solution!

I look forward to any responses.

13 answers to this question

Sounds like you Internet connection performance has gotten bad.  Have you tried doing a speedtest to see what your link is doing?  Also check Help - About Second Life and see if you are experiencing packet loss.  Finally, check your max bandwidth (Me - Preferences - Setup)  Set it to a lower number and see if that helps.

--Cinn

Keep in mind that your SL does have a bandwidth option where you can configure how much traffic you are going to allow SL to generate. Your total network usage can vary based on what sim you are on, graphic settings (textures/etc) as well as overall draw distance. I have mine set really high and on average in a busy sim while loading I can see it tap on 1Mbps but generally hangs out at 375kpbs.

I think that without a doubt, this is caused by Viewer 2.x

I have two different computers, I can put wireless or a dedicated DSL line on each, I've experimented with this problem numerous times, and I've come to this conclusion (as have others):

Viewer 2 is deliberately knocking me off my wireless; Viewer 2 is deliberately slowing my network.

SO the answer is: go back to viewer 1.23

What I'm saying is denied by the devs and nearly blasphemous, but it's the case.

No, moving draw distance, changing graphic cards, changing media settings -- they don't matter.

It's something in viewer 2.

Here's the secret path to the old viewer 1.23 which works great (very bottom of the page):

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alternate_Viewers

Shh don't tell anyone I told you!

You're entirely incorrect. Whilst I, as many others, was hesitant to use the new viewer due to its drastic user-interface change it is actually a massive improvement in many respects. One of the areas that it hasn't touched at least in a negative aspect is network and bandwidth lag. I reguarly use secondlife on a sub 3Mb/s internet using viewer 2.5 and both my network and internet speeds in general are consistant with viewer 1.23.

;-) Don't hate on progress.

Greetings,

I got to dig up this old thread today for I am experiencing a very similar (if not same) problem.

I was on SL for over 4 years now, but only since I am using the "next generation" Clients, I am having the following problem...

The Problem ist not exactly reproducable, but it appears much to frequently, to be ignored.

It seems to be happening more often, if I am in real crowded areas or heavily prim-ed sims.

The effect experienced is this:

- my firefox browser (always running on my secondary screen) will refuse to connect to any website. This is not limited to SL-sites, but also affects general news sites, both local and international, gaming sites... in short... ALL sites.

- at that time, SL will refuse to load anything that is not already loaded. I can continue to chat just fine. I can move around the sim I am currently on. I can even take of clothes and accessories and put them back on.

- when SL is however forced to load anything not from cache but from the web, it will eventually crash with the usual "View IM and Chat" or "Quit" message.

- Even after closing the client in this state, my computer refuses any kind of connection to other websites. Firefox will always time out, games will claim there is no internet connection, SL claims the "oops, something unexpected happened".

- a simple PING however will still work and show a completely lagfree low-level connection to the WWW (pinging 150ms from central europe to NY and similar).

The only way I found to fix this, is resetting my router... but having to do that once per hour on average is rather disturbing... especially as you cannot start any serious roleplaying, if you can expect to get dropped out any minute.

To me, it seems like SL is somehow blocking the higher layers of the OSITP model. The problem arises with Firestorm, Phoenix and the original SL client, so I suspect the issue to be somewhat connected to the general handling of data transfer.

Switching back to the very old viewer is not an option after having dropped countless L$ into Mesh-clothing and accessory.

Sincerely,

Sabrina

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.