Second Life makes my internet disconnect

Drithique

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I have been using Second Life for years now, I really enjoy the program but since this weekend I've run into a massive problem. We got a new router because the old one wasn't as stable anymore.

Everything on my computer works fine but when I open Second Life (Using Firestorm 4-6-7-42398 . The latest version to date) I am able to sign in, but anywhere from between the next minute until the next 20 minutes it disconnects me. It doesn't just throw me off SL. My router just stops working, I need to reset it to get access to the internet again.

I already googled several options to figure this out and tried to set up my new router with port forwarding.

Also:

• Open outbound access for TCP ports - Second Life servers do not establish inbound TCP connections to client systems running the Second Life Viewer software. Instead, they use the "request / response" message pattern. Enable outbound TCP access for ports 53, 80, 443, 12043, 12046 and 21002.
  • Open outbound "session" access for UDP ports- Although UDP is a session-less transport, many firewalls block unsolicited incoming UDP traffic to a particular port unless it has seen recent outgoing UDP traffic from that same port. Activate outbound UDP for ports 53, 3478, 3479, 5060, 5062, and 12000-29999.

From: http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Using-Second-Life-with-a-firewall/ta-p/1304539

I am using a Sitecom router (n300 )

The problem is really the router as the previous one did work. I use a homeplug to connect to the internet from my room.

Second Life is a very important program to me and I'm honestly not sure how I can fix it.

I've had no issue connecting to SL from about 10 other locations but this new router at home is just refusing to work.

Thank you for reading.

3 answers to this question

Unless you are connecting from behind someone's firewall, you shouldn't need to do anything fancy to get your router to connect you to SL reliably.  There are a couple of things you can try.

First, avoid using wireless.  Linden Lab does not recommend using a wifi connection, and you may well get a performance hit if you do.  Read http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Wifi-and-satellite-connections/ta-p/1296823

Second, add Google's free public DNS servers to whatever your ISP assigns you as a default. Here's how >>> https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using  .  If using Google as a DNS does not work for you then see here for alternate servers, or grab DNS Bench to help you locate one.

As a third (lower probability) option, you may have just bought a lemon.  A little less than a month ago I started having exactly the same problem with my router.  It would hold a connection for a while and then spontaneously disconnect.  I had a local tech person look at it and he confirmed that the router was dying.  Yours is brand new, so it should have a long life ahead of it.  Still, it may have been defective when you bought it.  If so, the solution is to exchange it.

Hi Drithique,

I'm going to guess that it's your router. Ethernet-over-powerline hardware generally doesn't work as well as Wi-Fi, which doesn't work as well as a direct Ethernet connection. If you can, try a temporary direct Ethernet cable connection to the router and see if your problems go away. If so, you may need to make the Homeplug stuff go away.

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.