Land Use Fees

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

14 answers to this question

You should be able to far as I know but I'm not an expert on group land. Perhaps this issue applies:

Known Issues

If you have a parcel that used to be owned just by one owner and is now to be group land, there is sometimes an issue with being able to allocate land to a group as the system is seeing the owner as trying to own double the land as opposed to trying to change his or her allocation. In this case please email support@lindenlab.com for assistance.

Nyll

Thanks for trying but that doesn't answer my question.

I wish to donate my no charge 512m land to group without occuring any extra charge. Is this possible?

When i previously donated the land to a group it just added another 512 to my account and began charging me $5 per month saying I now have a total of 1024m . arrrggggg!

Yes. It is possible. But there are lots of ways you can screw yourself up and make mistakes that can cause you to get charged.

First, understand the difference between donating land and donating land tier. They are related but not appreciating the difference can lead to confusion and unnecessary charges. Second, learn exactly how land use fees are calculated and charged. Third, read up on group land and the implications of giving land you bought to a group. Land is not something I recommend stumbling through by trial and error, because you will end up making errors that will cost you $. The first thing you should do is read and make sure you understand the wiki and knowledge base articles on how land and group land works before buying or donating anything.

Ok one more time...

I have 512m of free land which I am not getting charged for.

I would like to donate that 512m to a group "without" SL charging me for an extra 512.

I tried it recently but SL said I now have 1024m of land and began charging me $5. I don't want 1024m I only want to donate my 512k to a group??

Anyone Know if I can do this and "how"?

yes i know it's possible cuz i did it. The problem is it added another 512m worth of land to my acct and began charging me $5 per month.

I don't want 1024m of land I only want to give my 512m to group without any added charge! No this is not Linden Home Land. I got it when they were giving away First Land to all premiums about 4 years ago.

The complete answer to my issue (after an hour with SL tech help)

Use the deed option! Don't use the Contribution to Group option.

Tech Reply: What you need to do is: 'donate' it to the group, you need to go inworld, to the land, click on about land. set the land to group and then deed to group. if you do it in donations (tier) it will keep doing the same thing as before

What likely happened is that you kept your 512 first land, and didn't release the 512 tier covering that 512 m of  land.

Then when you tried to donate 512 to a group on top of that, the system billed you for 1024 m2.

In order to donate land to a group, you have to first sell or abandon that first 512 you were using, or leave your Linden Home.

Then you have the 512 free and clear to donate.

I have numerous people who donate 512 or more in tier to my group to get a rental valued at $250 or a discount of $250 -- and nothing bills them any further. There is no mechanism to bill them further in fact.

So I think this is a function of the land not having been freed.

Tier and land are separate things, and confusing. Tier of 512 covers 512 m2, and can't be used anywhere else except on that 512 until that piece is sold or abandoned.

If you are donating LAND and not TIER ALONE to a group, you have to click on DEED TO GROUP and also the box ALLOCATE TIER WITH DONATION and then both your tier and that piece of land go into a group. You should not face any other charges then. (The reason you ARE facing charges is because you did both contribute/deed AND contribute via the about land contribution interface -- two separate actions -- and you have to undo the second in the group, and on your web page, or it will keep billing.)

The "known issue" sounds like some confusion to me. I haven't seen that. What I see happening is people donate tier they forget is "taken" already, or they deed land and it is taken by a group with excess tier, and they don't allocate their tier with it.

If the group you are trying to donate to doesn't have the tier to receive it, the system bounces it and it says "you do not have enough land credits".

By referring to both "tier" and "land credits" as if they are separate things (they aren't) the Lindens also ensure confusion with all this.

When the Lindens are ready to encourage instead of discourage the sale of land between residents and not just by themselves to residents, they will get rid of this confusion.

I realize with all your exhaustive ministrations, you believe the KB is "correct".

But it's wrong here.

You don't need to have the ability to deed land to deed the land.

You can CHECK THE BOX making the option to deed available WHICH GROUP OFFICERS can then use to deed.

So the contributor can set the land to the group he wants to deed to, check off the box, and leave it for the officer -- that way officers/founders of a group don't need to have each m ember be able to deed land -- which means they could steal any piece of land out of the group and deed it away elsewhere.

Furthermore, the contributor has to check off "make contribution" or the group has to have that tier to cover the land, one of the two.

To undo that billing, there's another thing that has to happen or it will keep billing you even if you fix up your land/deed problem.

You must go into the group and take out the 512 you donated on top of that land that was deeded.

And make sure that in that group your contribution is only 512 with an excess of 512 showing (that's the 1024).

Then WITHDRAW THE 512 EXCESS from the GROUP -- otherwise it keeps billing. It doesn't know this is excess and not applied to land.

Then go on the website, and move the tier down -- check off 512, not 1024. It will say "512 available" but you must move the check-off in the box down so it stops saying that.

As long as you keep seeing "512 available" on your website account page, you are going to be billed. Make sure the land/tier deeded inworld is all that is taken by that group.

Indeed, the entire reason you keep experiencing this is that your land is in the group with its tier attached (512), and your donation of 512 is also made to the group on top of that to equal 1024 m2!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4910 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.