What happens if you have nudity, a sex-bed or sex-balls in a General region?

Persephone Emerald

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

It is technically against the rules to have nudity, sex-beds or sex balls in a General region. Whether those rules are inforced or not depends on whether one is reported or not.

With teenagers officialy coming onto the main grid in January, we no longer have the luxury of assuming everyone else in SL is an adult.

So, what's going to happen to someone living in a General region when somebody decides to perv into their home & reports them for having virtual sex inside it? What's going to happen when someone sees them naked in a hot tub or bath, or even while trying on a skin?

For years now, adults playng in SL have safely ignored the offical stance on nudity & sex in what used to be called PG regions. The assumption was that if one were discrete about it, it wasn't really a problem.

Now the name for these regions has been changed from PG to General, and even though LL says this won't result in a change in the rules for these regions, having minors officially on the grid with us will likely change how these rules are inforced.  Welcome to G-rated land, folks.

My question is what's going to happen when someone gets reported now for doing things they thought were ok before? Will we have to sell our land cheap & move to a new region because some over-zelous parent reported us for being naughty where a minor could see us? Will our account be suspened?  What can we expect now?

(cross-posted to the General Discussion forums)

13 answers to this question

"It is technically against the rules to have nudity, sex-beds or sex balls in a General region. Whether those rules are inforced or not depends on whether one is reported or not."

A correct statement, admittedly: A Region may be designated General if it does not advertise or make available content or activity that's sexually explicit, violent or depicts nudity. Likewise, sexually-oriented objects such as "sex beds" or poseballs may not be located or sold in General regions... as per http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Maturity

"My question is what's going to happen when someone gets reported now for doing things they thought were ok before?"

Just because someone didn't report it as being against policy, or someone didn't think it was policy... doesn't mean it is allowed or is okay.  It isn't nor ever has been.  If LL decides to better enforce an existing policy, the people who opt to rezz sex poseballs in a General region will have to rethink the wisdom of that and use the exact same common sense reasoning the rest of us do.

• Like 1

ApprenticeItazura Radio posted in the General Discussion forums:

9. Nov 11, 2010 9:57 AM transparent.pngin response to: Persephone Emerald

Re: What happens when you have nudity, a sex-bed or sex balls in a General region?

There is no technically about it. Nudity, sex-beds or sex balls have never been allowed in a General or PG region. The rules have always been enforced, just not many people reported it before. But if they did, you still were dinged for it. That hasn't changed. Adults haven't "safely" ignored the official stance. They were never safe. They were just lucky not to get caught and/or reported before. The only thing that's possibly changed now is the likelihood that will happen.

If your caught nude in a PG/General region (either in person by a Linden or in an AR screenshot) you might get kicked if caught in the act or asked to stop (a verbal warning). Adult items like sexbeds or poseballs will be returned to your inventory. You will get an email from Linden Lab saying you have violated the rules regarding mature content in a PG/General area. First you'll get an official warning letter by email. That's as much for their benefit as yours. It's so they know you've been made aware of the rules and can't claim you didn't know. After that, if it happens again you will probably get a short term suspension for a day or so... then 3 days... then maybe a week... then possibly 2 weeks. Eventually if it gets that far then it's obvious you know it's not allowed but just don't care. That that point they really have no choice other than to close your account permanently since you're showing blatant disregard for the maturity ratings and refuse to follow them.

If you are not living in a mature/moderate or adult region and want to be naked or have sex... move. It's that simple. Land prices are cheap so now is the time.

- Itazura, I gave you Best Answer on the General Discussion forums for this answer.  I'd give you  Best Answer on this thread too, if I could. -

- Persephone

"I'd give you  Best Answer on this thread too, if I could"

What answer were you looking for... that sex related stuff isn't allowed on sim where sex related stuff on a sim isn't allowed?

I'd echo Irene's sentiments in that I have no idea why that needs to be asked - nevermind asked on two seperate forums but good you got the reply you were seeking regrdless of where or who is awarded the most points.  I'm sure i'll still sleep soundly even with the 2 point differecial... my reply is mainly motivated to get this out of the 'unanswered' box since according to the OP it's already been answered one and a half times (which ironically is how many times i've had sex on a general sim)

I'd like to get his thread out of  the unanswered section too.

But I'm not going to give 4 points for a rude, smart-ass remark .

I didn't ask if sex is allowed in a PG sim, anyway. I asked what the consequence would be for getting reported.

I asked this question so I could forward this thread to my friends who own land in a PG region.

(I already own land in a Mature region, but was considering moving to theirs.) (edit added )

Unfortunately, I got the best answer from the other forum and haven't get had a good  one from this forum.

"I'd like to get his thread out of  the unanswered section too.  but I'm not going to give 4 points to a rude, smart-ass remark ."

Perhaps you are being a little overly sensative.  I might have been flippant and found some things humourous, but how does anything suggested, like sex isn't allowed where sex isn't allowed, or why that needs to be clarified, or my agreeing with what Irene said translate into my being rude or a smartass?

Tone down the drama for goodness sakes, smile... it's friday and your answer was replied to in good faith, if you can show me where i'm rude or personally offensive towards yourself personally i'd love to see it.

"what a shame you cant find a cheap place in a mature area to do it. why not just do it out in public and let the world see. What is there to hide after all."

Try hosting a naked event at a club, x-ing off on a tip but accidentally hitting a mass tp, and teleporting your own naked butt out of the event you're supposed to he hosting... all the while wondering where the heck you're going to end up.

Not that I've done that... three times, including to a General sim.  (got a 5L tip, two dates, one marriage proposal, and three restraining orders out of it)

/me cheers at sl and all its awesomeness

Persephone Emerald wrote:

For years now, adults playng in SL have safely ignored the offical stance on nudity & sex in what used to be called PG regions. The assumption was that if one were discrete about it, it wasn't really a problem.

This assumption is incorrect.

From http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Maturity :

A Region may be designated   General if it does not advertise or make available content or activity that's  sexually explicit, violent or depicts nudity. Likewise,  sexually-oriented objects such as "sex beds" or poseballs may not be  located or sold in   General regions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.