Camera Controls

rhythm11

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi folks.

Firstly I'd like to know if there's a keyboard shortcut to easily switch to the front view and then switch back to the rear view by pressing Escape of course.

Mainly though is there a way to keep the camera view position and rotation (either fixed to the world or fixed to your avatar) when you're walking etc. without the view automatically reverting back to either the rear, front or side view as soon as you move?

I hope I've explained it properly.

Thanks.

Oh thanks. :) I didn't know they existed. I looked at your link to that free one and also did a search for "camera control HUD". On one I looked at it said how to change the default camera settings in the viewer's debug settings, so I tried that and it was quite easy really. I got this HUD aswell though which is good: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/CameraWorks-HUD/3900196

CameraWorks HUD.jpg

These are the rear, front and side views I use now:

Snapshot_004.jpg

Snapshot_005.jpg

Snapshot_006.jpg

I prefer the rear view at head height like this because the avatar doesn't obscure the view and it looks more realistic to me.

Thanks again. :)

Zsigmond Alcott wrote:

I don't know what viewer you are using but you can do as you disribed in your first post in the Firestorm Viewer. Preferences>Move & View>Firestorm. Disable (uncheck) "reset camera position on avatar movment".

12541254.jpg

There is also a usefull feature called "Clicking your avatar keeps camera position".

When left clicking the avatar, holding the mouse button pressed down and then dragging the mouse sideways the following happens:

1. When "Clicking your avatar keeps camera position" is unselected

• Avatar turns so that it's back faces the camera. So you're viewing the avatar from the back all the time when rotating the camera around the avatar.

2. When "Clicking your avatar keeps camera position" is selected

• Avatar does not turn so you can rotate all around the avatar and thus see it from all sides. This is very usefull to quickly check the avatar all around. Besides dragging the mouse sideways (which rotates the camera around the avatar), it is also possible to drag the mouse backwards and forwards which will change the camera height. Perfect.

To return to normal view (from the back) just release the mouse button and press ESC-key once.

rhythm11 wrote:

Oh thanks.
:)
I didn't know they existed. I looked at your link to that free one and also did a search for "camera control HUD". On one I looked at it said how to change the default camera settings in the viewer's debug settings, so I tried that and it was quite easy really.

I prefer the rear view at head height like this because the avatar doesn't obscure the view and it looks more realistic to me.

For anyone reading in future, If you want to change where the camera sits, you need to edit these settings in 'Debug Settings':

Rear:

CameraOffsetRearView

FocusOffsetRearView

Front:

FocusOffsetFrontView

CameraOffsetFrontView 

Side:

FocusOffsetGroupView

CameraOffsetGroupView

http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/getting-started-in-second-life/#Camera_Setup

I use:

Rear Camera:

CameraOffsetRearView

X: -2.5

Y: -0.100

Z: -0.300

**Only uploaded images may be used in postings**://catnapkitty.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/focusoffsetrearview.png?w=642" border="0" alt="FocusOffsetRearView" />

FocusOffsetRearView

X: 0.4

Y: -0.100

Z: 0.100

Front Camera:

FocusOffsetFrontView

X: 0.5

Y: 0

Z: 0.3

CameraOffsetFrontView

X: 2.1

Z: -0.2

Side Camera:

FocusOffsetGroupView

X: 0.1

Z: 0.2

CameraOffsetGroupView

X: 0.5

Y: 2.3

Z: -0.3

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3525 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.