How does customizing your avatar work?

Kaaagome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone! I'm new to secondlife. I know how to adjust the face and body and stuff, but I'm talking about wearing clothes. I have seen my inventory, but is there a way to click on an item in your inventory and see it on your avatar before you actually wear it? I can't seem to find that. Thanks!

No, as far as I know there is no way to see the clothes before you put them on unless there is a  picture texture in the file along with the item.  Most library items you are furnished with do not have that convenience.  Clothing items you buy often do have a picture of the item in the file so that you know what you are putting on when you pull them out of inventory.  You can go to one of the many freebie centers (check your search function under classified ads and put the search word "freebie" in the box).  There are many free clothing items at these centers and some may actually have a picture with the item that you will see in inventory.  At least when you acquire them you will see what they look like as you "buy" them.  (When you "buy" a freebie item, the price will show up as L$0 and you are charged nothing). 

Once you have been in sl for a while, you will find the clothes that cost actual Linden dollars are usually of better style and quality than the freebies.

One thing you can do if a photo is not in the folder with the clothes is to take a picture of them yourself.  Another is to rename the folder with a description instead of a name. 

I keep my clothes organized by type with subfolders inside the clothing folder.  I have all pants in one, shorts in another, skirts, tops, dresses, complete outfits etc.  Then some have subfolders in them.  For instance Dresses has folders for Day, Club and Formal.

For accessories like shoes and jewelry I keep them in subfolders named the color of the shoes.  Then i have a mixed folder for texture/color changing shoes.

It makes it a lot easier to remember what I have and I can easily find them. 

Because of the nature of how files are downloaded and constantly tossed into and out of your local memory - loading up a picture of an item to see which one it is can in many cases take longer than just wearing the items.

So the best "preview" advice is the one about about renaming folders.

I also suggest learning to use the "outfits" system - everytime you have a look you like put together, save it as an outfit, with an easy to remember name like:

"Gown - Brand Name - Style - Color"

Or some system that makes sense to you.

I personally also move things around in my inventory into sorting systems as well - start doing this now, and when you get to having a few thousand things you won't get lost in your own mess... :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3508 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.