group owned parcel pros & cons

IMGypsy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I used to own the entire SIM I am now renting on.  As a sim owner I never had an issue with other ppl rezzing or posting eents on the SL events board (who had the right perms, of course) - then I turned over the ownership to another person.  Everything was still ok.  Rating changed from M to A - still no issue.  Then recenty another owner took over.  Rating is now M again. However, now even with proper perms they are unable to rez objects unless I open the parcel to "building".  

I have never had to deed a parcel or land to a group - it has been suggested tho that it might be necessary.  What is the negative of doing that?  Help!  I'm at a loss why all of a sudden this has changed.

5 answers to this question

The biggest negatives are that you no longer have immediate control over whether they can set perms on the parcel to allow anyone to rez -- making it a public sandbox -- and they can terraform at will.  Either one of those can create havok for other sim residents if they are abused.  You can always reclaim the parcel at any time, of course, but in the meantime an unruly tenant can create a lot of ill will. 

Having said that, however, more than half of the parcels on my own private sim are deeded to groups.  I have never had any trouble at all (knock on wood), and I don't have to respond to all sorts of requests for adding people to MY land group or whatever.

• Like 1

I live on the Mainland, and therefore have not had to worry about new management changing things at the region level.  My land is deeded to my land group.  For me, the considerations are these:

• Group owned land on the Mainland gets a 10% tier bonus...I can own more land without paying more tier.
  • TVs, radios, or anything that controls parcel settings has to be deeded to the group to work.
  • Rezzing of objects can be limited (by me!) to group members only.  I don't limit flight, object entry, or scripts, unless we're having some sort of massive griefer attack.
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3528 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.