Building - object disappears when I try to move, rotate, scale.

SpinWeaver Radmussen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When in build mode, if I try to move, scale, or rotate an object it disappears.  How can I get the right size/rotation/position if I cannot see the object?

Also, even though grid display settings are on, I cannot see a grid.

That was the problem.  Now the complaint.

SL has the most unintelligible help system I have EVER seen!  There are far too many help options, and I have spent hours pouring through lists of questions that don't pertain to my problem, searched and re-searched menus, and still have no idea how to get help.

How about a "Help Tree" -- one location with an outline of possibilities so that a question can be sent to the appropriate place for an answer.

How about a "Help Desk" -- could be staffed by knowledgeable resident volunteers, for help within minutes.

How about a "Resident Help" group, where users can ask SL questions of others?

I am extremely frustrated.  I have been searching for an answer to the above problems since View 2 was first released.  I'm not even sure that I have found help by posting on this question board.  I have asked these questions in other groups I belong to.  No one else seems to have a similar problem.

TAKING MONTHS TO GET ANSWERS TO A QUESTION ON BUILDING IS UNACCEPTABLE!  If I were a big merchant builder and knew the appropriate Linden to address, my problem would have been solved in minutes.  But I am a plebe, and therefore ignorant, unimportant, and worst of all, felling VERY unwanted by the powers that be in SL.

• Like 1

10 answers to this question

There are quite a few "resident help" locations ... two I'm familiar with are Help People Island and NCI.  I know the Help People group has been studying up on Viewer 2 and would assume likewise with NCI.   I'm not a 2.0 user so am not familiar with the problem you describe -- which DOES sound quite annoying.

"SL has the most unintelligible help system I have EVER seen!  There are far too many help options, and I have spent hours pouring through lists of questions that don't pertain to my problem, searched and re-searched menus, and still have no idea how to get help."

In the recent survey that was sent out, I made just this comment.

In V2 the Hide Selected option can be found under Advanced > Highlighting and Visibility > Hide Selected. With this option selected, when you are in edit mode you should see the yellow outline of the object, but when you rotate or move the object it will become completely invisible. To stop the object becoming invisible, simply uncheck the Hide Selected option.

I'm sure there are many builders groups in SL that you could join and post questions on group chat inworld.

Second Life Answers is a Resident to Resident Help Desk. You never posted a question here on SLA before and if you had, I'm sure it would have been answered, perhaps within minutes, perhaps hours, it depends on who is online and who knows the answer.

In Viewer 2, open the Advanced Menu (CTRL+ALT+D) and select Highlighting & Visibility > Hide Selected and deselect it. It's not selected by default so you must have done so at some point.

The grid appears for me. Perhaps you have opacity set too low to see it.

Nyll

• Like 1

Yes there are builders groups in SL. When I was first learning to build I belonged to one and it was very helpful. No matter how basic your question is, you will get an answer.

I have to agree with the comments about the SL's help system, it is over complex and it can be difficult to find the answer you are looking for.

11 hours ago, Song Indigo said:

Thank you!  Had this issue for a week now so thanks for solving!

See, this is an example of a GOOD necropost.  Song actually did a search for her problem and came up with a thread that gave the answer.  As long as we've resurrected this one, here are some more help resources for our readers:

• The Knowledge Base, here on this website
  • This very Answers forum!  It's resident to resident help.
  • The Quick Start guide, also on this site.
  • Caledon Oxbridge University, a learning area for new residents in world.
  • New Resident Island, ditto.
  • New Citizens, Inc., ditto.
  • Helping Haven, ditto.
  • Builders Brewery, ditto.
  • Firestorm Help Island, ditto.  This location, and ALL the in world learning locations, have groups you can join so you can ask questions no matter where on the grid you may be.  Also many of these groups offer classes in various Second Life topics.
  • The Ivory Tower Library of Primitives.  This is in the original location in the Natoma region and replicated on a "branch campus" as well.  Self paced building tutorials for the in-world building tools.
  • The Particle Laboratory.  In world tutorials and example scripts aimed at how to use the universal particle script to produce all sorts of effects.
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.