Why sell a product this way?

mirbaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

An itemt that was being sold by a creator both inworld and in marketplace was pulled from both for unkown reason, now i find out that it can be bought only through the creator and their sales rep. directlly, I'm thinking something is not right here, identical product is also avialable inworld and market by another creator but for a lot more, the one that was pulled was on sale for a bargain.

I agree it does sound fishy so best to stay away. I found something on the Marketplace the other eve that might have fit my needs but it was too inexpensive and looking at the other items in the store it seemed like many were against the August TOS. They could have been uploaded before that time but still I ended up making it myself.

If it doesn't look right it often isn't.

Could also be creator 2 might have not liked the idea of another undercutting him with such a huge price difference, the item itself appears to be a template kit that they are selling with their own scripts and stuff added, but still why pull it.

My guess is that this is a creator kit. Those come with full permissions so others can use it in their own products. It is, however, not allowed to resell the kit "as is". The cheap kit was distributed "as is" without changes made. The original creator reported it to LL and it was pulled from the Marketplace and inworld.Why should it be pulled if it was not in violation with the intent of a creator's kit? Could also be that they just add in a freebie texure and say they have changed it. 

The product still remain in the inventory of the second seller and his/hers alts who call themselves "sales representative". So they sell it by "word of mouth". If you buy this and use it in your own creations, the original creator will not find your name in the list of customers who bought the kit. You will be reported and your creations pulled.

Well, that is my guess. It might or might not be true. But a big price difference and a cheap product sold from someone directly after it's pulled from the store and the Marketplace.... that is suspicious.

An item pulled by Linden Lab certainly was subject of a so called DMCA, otherwise Linden Lab would not pull it. The DMCA process is described here:

https://secondlife.com/corporate/dmca.php

Note that this is a legal process, and Linden Lab must remove items which are reported under any circumstances, regardless if the accusation is true or not. The accused can counterfile the DMCA claim. The case will go to court as a result of the counterfiling, but until a judge finally rules in favor of the initial reporter Linden Lab will restore the item. If the judge rules that the DMCA claim is valid, Linden Lab will go even further and delete the item in question from all inventories in entire SL, and most probably will ban the violators account.

If a creator pulls an item all by him/herself, it´s his/her own choice, and selling it directly instead of using the MP or in-world store is not a violation of IP property rights.

Please draw your own conclusions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3590 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.