Logging on as a mist

Rick Fairlady

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi all!

I've been trying to help a noobie. Her problem is that she logs on as a mist, but never rezzes. She looks fine to anyone around her, just not on her computer, which would seem to be a prob with her computer. She set up a second account with the same problem.

Whats odd is that the first 2 or 3 times she logged on both accounts, she was fine, but after that shes a mist.

Being a noobie, she only half listened to what i told her, ha ha, and i wasn't always sure she was clicking on the buttons i wanted her to click on. Also i use emerald and she uses 2.0.

So, would setting the graphics down to the minimum work to fix this, or is there something else she can do?

thanks,

Rick

6 answers to this question

hiya Rick  : )

Here's the quickie insta-fix:

Click on the Advanced Menu at the top of the screen. If it is not next to the Help menu, press ctrl+alt+D to make it show

Select Debug settings.....a small window will open. select "RenderUnloadedAvatar" from the drop down box and then set it to "True"

Here's the detailed FAQ if you're interested:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Why_do_I_look_like_a_particle_cloud%3F_%28Formerly_known_as:_I%27ve_suddenly_and_unexpectedly_turned_into_an_ugly_woman.%29

If it's only happening on her end then it's almost definitely her computer, viewer, network, or hardware.  The most common cause is that her computer is barely able to run SL.  That normally relates to hardware........video card specifically.  Since she was able to log in fine before I don't believe it's necessarily driver related......nor do I think her card suddenly became below specs.  Setting her preferences to the minimum would be a first step.  And as Faubio mentioned clearing the cache is also a great first step since the cache gets corrupted quite easily.  One more first step would be to reset her modem/router. 

Resetting the modem/router.  Shut down the computer.  Unplug the devices from their electrical source and leave unplugged for 3 to 5 mins.  Plug them back in and wait for the lights to settle to the normal blinking routine (probably about 30 secs).  The boot the computer back up and try SL again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.