Sign in to follow this  
Rick Fairlady

Logging on as a mist

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hiya Rick  : )

Here's the quickie insta-fix:

Click on the Advanced Menu at the top of the screen. If it is not next to the Help menu, press ctrl+alt+D to make it show

Select Debug settings.....a small window will open. select "RenderUnloadedAvatar" from the drop down box and then set it to "True"

Here's the detailed FAQ if you're interested:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Why_do_I_look_like_a_particle_cloud%3F_%28Formerly_known_as:_I%27ve_suddenly_and_unexpectedly_turned_into_an_ugly_woman.%29

6 answers to this question

hiya Rick  : )

Here's the quickie insta-fix:

Click on the Advanced Menu at the top of the screen. If it is not next to the Help menu, press ctrl+alt+D to make it show

Select Debug settings.....a small window will open. select "RenderUnloadedAvatar" from the drop down box and then set it to "True"

Here's the detailed FAQ if you're interested:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Why_do_I_look_like_a_particle_cloud%3F_%28Formerly_known_as:_I%27ve_suddenly_and_unexpectedly_turned_into_an_ugly_woman.%29

Clear the cache in preferences > network < click the buttton > Apply > OK restart the viewer, wait, when it is done it will restart automatically

This type of question is up there at the top with a couple of others. It's clogging up the forum. (you know..)

It needs a serious look at! Seriously.

A link "IN THE MIST" to an FAQ

If it's only happening on her end then it's almost definitely her computer, viewer, network, or hardware.  The most common cause is that her computer is barely able to run SL.  That normally relates to hardware........video card specifically.  Since she was able to log in fine before I don't believe it's necessarily driver related......nor do I think her card suddenly became below specs.  Setting her preferences to the minimum would be a first step.  And as Faubio mentioned clearing the cache is also a great first step since the cache gets corrupted quite easily.  One more first step would be to reset her modem/router. 

Resetting the modem/router.  Shut down the computer.  Unplug the devices from their electrical source and leave unplugged for 3 to 5 mins.  Plug them back in and wait for the lights to settle to the normal blinking routine (probably about 30 secs).  The boot the computer back up and try SL again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.