Is This Product Lawful Under TOS?

DarkGuinevere

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A friend of mine had someone offer her something, and she accepted it.  What she got was evidently something that allowed the giver to permanently control her avi and does not allow her to cheat out in SLV. Does anyone know about this product and is it lawful under TOS?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Soul-Seize-Hud-Control-Someone-Permanently-No-RLV-Needed-No-Collar-Needed-No-Attachments-Needed/4297337

4 answers to this question

I think what happened was that someone asked to hug your friend or something, and she got a request to animate her.   She agreed to the request, and it turned out to be this Soul Seize device, which takes advantage of the fact scripts normally retain their permissions until over-written by another set of permissions.   Soul Seize uses multiple scripts to hold simultaneous permissions to animate several avatars (like a dance ball in a club).

The device has been on sale for ages, and the subject of frequent complaints, so it must be allowed under ToS.   What isn't allowed, though, is to harass people, whether by using this device or by any other way.   So I would suggest that your friend AR the person animating her against her will each time it happens (and tell her tormentor this is what is going to happen).

The device has to be on the same sim as the person it's animating, so it might be an idea to complain to the sim owner (if it's a private sim, anyway) whenever the person uses it, too.   The  Freedom Continent estate of Adult sims, where I am an admin, bans people from the whole estate of 20-something sims if we catch them using it, and we're not the only people with this policy -- it's a no-brainer if you want your guests to feel welcome and safe.

Firestorm (and maybe some other viewers, too) has an option to revoke animation permissions, but it's not as effective as it should be.  As I understand it, it works by ignoring animation requests from a particular object uuid, so if your friend used it, the hud would stop animating her.   However, all the hud owner would need to do is detach the hud and re-wear it, and that gives the hud a new uuid.  

So the only responses, to my mind, that are likely to be effective in the long term are to try to avoid the person animating her and to keep on ARing.

• Like 5

Innula's answer is perfect.  I just want to emphasize something that she pointed out:  PRODUCTS are not generally regulated by the Terms of Service (with a very few exceptions.)  How people USE the products is very much governed by the TOS.  This is analogous to the "guns don't kill people, people kill people" philosophy.

So, AR the user.

• Like 4

hi

if the person giving it away is the maker and owner, of the object.

then yes its OK

but if they are not the maker and have not got the rights to give it away.

then only then, are they not allow under Tos.

becareful what you take off people.

you may find your self on hold for having things that are not your to have.

so do not take things off people unless you know them

enjoy the game

and press

control and P

that open the preferance window, in there you can trun off the RLV, also you need to remore the object and deleted it from you invenmtroy

byee

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.