Not sure if this is a Firestorm problem or SL problem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi

I moved all my house and garden stuff from my rental land to a skybox. Its in the same place just higher up but since I moved I've noticed I'm having a lot of problems ie chat lag, inventory lag, rezzing problems, have to keep logging out and logging back in. When I was grounded I didn't have any of these problems and I don't know if it's just SL being SL, something up with Firestorm, sim problems. I've cleared my cache but nothing seems to work..any suggestions?

Thanks.

Jaz

I don't think it is Firestorm. I use it and spend quite some time at my building platform placed at 3500 m altitude with much less lag than I have on the ground — as it should be.

A few questions:

1. is your rental in mainland or at a private region?

2. how high is your house now?

3. are there any skydomes nearby?

One thing you may want to try is rezzing a building on the ground and spend some time there to see how it goes.

P.S. Just like Tarina, my parcel is in mainland and the only issues in the region were caused by a Pathfinding bug first — fixed about one year ago — and later by some griefing objects at another parcel that were affecting the whole region

I have several parcels of land in SL, in 2 mainland and 1 rental sim, and 1 or more platforms on all of them.  I have never noticed a difference in lag between ground level and high up on a platform.  (I usually use FS, but sometimes the official viewer too).

I sometimes notice lag being worse one one sim than another, very likely an SL issue.

But usally when I see problems such as you describe, it turns out to be the connection. 

At the bottom of the report generated using Help>About, it tells you the packet loss.  For me, if packet loss is less than about 0.3 %, everything runs smoothly.  But lag is pretty bad a 5%, and SL is pretty much useless at 10%.  (I travel a bit, and see quite a few different connections.)

please spread this to everybody :   stop thinking clearing cach solves problems with your viewer!... it is no miracle tool, just makes your first time after log in again laggier than ever before when you come back because it has to load everything new from nothing again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3587 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.