Partial Avatar

Tarnok McBride

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

After a long absents for SL.  I just upgraded to SL 2.0.  Now when I log into SL most of my avatar does not rezz, not only can I not see my Avatar nor can anyone else.  The only thing that shows up is hair, eyes, jacket and my boots.  I do not have any skin, pants, body shape ect.   Below are some of the thing I have already tried.

1. I have tried several different skins and outfits that a friend gave me to see if it was a problem with my outfits.

2. Setting Drawing Distance slider to the left and teh Mesh Details slider to low.

3. Made sure the Avatar Impostors is checked.

4. Opening Appearance and Closing with out saving.

5. Trying Default outfits.

6. Setting the "renderUnloadedAvatar" to true in the Debug Settings.

7. Updating my video drivers.

I am lost can anyone help

Thank You,

Tarnok McBride

13 answers to this question

You might want to check to see if perhaps your clothes got set to the new alpha mask by mistake.

https://blogs.secondlife.com/community/community/tnt/blog/2010/04/01/viewer-2-tip-april-fools-make-your-avatar-invisible-with-alpha-masks

You might also want to check Hardware Skinning and Enable VBO and deselect those as well if they are enabled.

--Cinn

I had already tryed the VBO and Hardware Skinning.  It was late last night and it skipped my minded.

I watch the video of the Alpha Mask and because my Avatar looks exactly like the one in the video with all the boxes check, I though maybe we had found it, but no.  I do not have any Alpha Mask on.  I did try putting one on then taking it off just to see, but that did not work either.

Well it was worth a shot.  You probably need to default your avatar to fix the problem.  This command has been moved in the Viewer 2 so I can't post the wiki instructions cause they are still viewer 1.23 specific.

So open the Develop menu (ctrl-alt Q) and then choose Avatar - Character Tests - Test Female or Male (sorry can't tell by your name )  That should change your avatar to a default setting and hopefully you will be visible.    Then you can hopefully dig your favorite shape & skin out of inventory and put yourself back together.

--Cinn

Seems this issue is haunting alot of people lately...try the following, and I know it sounds ridiculous:

Change your Non-Prim hair.

I had a similar issue ages ago...that fixed it. Someone posting in the "Abandon 2.0 thread" had this issue, and I got inworld to help her out...changing their non-prim hair(usually a "Bald Base") worked. A friend of mine 2 days later had the same issue. Hair change fixed it. No clue what causes it, or why it fixes it, but if it works I ain't gonna complain. =P

Only other option would be Eyes and Skin, as those are the 3 things you "always" have to wear some form of, and when changing nothing else works, that kinda narrows it down Hopefully, anyways...assuming something bigger isn't what's breaking you =(

Cinn

I had the same idea about a alt account, but had the same effect.

As far as the ticket, where can I open a support ticket.  I tryed that first, and because I do not have a premimum account, I got an email stating  "Unfortunately, the ticket type you requested is not available to Residents with Basic accounts or Guest access. We wish we could offer full support to Basic account holders and Guests, but there are just too many of you and too few of us. We apologize for the inconvenience. "

Thanks Tarnok

Hello Tarnok, try the suggestions in this SL Wiki KB article Fixing avatar appearance

- Check your graphics card to make sure it's supported and the drivers are up-to-date. Learn more.

- Move the Second Life Viewer onto your primary monitor, or change your primary monitor in your computer's display control panel. Sometimes having the Viewer on your secondary monitor can mess up graphics.

Go to Character Test again, Test Male, so you have the Default Avatar. Close the Viewer and shut down your computer.

Unplug your modems and routers for a full  minute, then plug them back in.

Before you log in, Clear the Cache from Outside Second Life You can check the Disk Cache location from the login screen Preferences > Setup. Log into Region Pooley, see Changing your login location and let your Inventory fully load.

When your Inventory has loaded, wearing some clothing, without prim attachments. Force a couple of rebakes, wait a few minutes, then log off.

Relog at Pooley, does your Avatar look right now ?

If you still have problems, post the details the computer you are using, see How   do I find my system information?

Also  see, Reducing lag and  How do I check for packet loss (network lag)?

Hope this helps

There is a bug that was introduced in version 1.23. and which also exists in 2.0, that causes one or more of the head, upper body or lower body sections of the avatar to become invisible. There have been JIRA bug reports about this ever since 1.23 came out, and LL still hasn't fixed it properly. What is happening is that the code that is supposed to allow you to see the new avatar alpha masks that they released in 2.0 is buggy, and sometimes thinks you have a masking layer attached even though you don't, and never have. There are some work-arounds in the JIRA entries.

From http://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-12906

Temporary solution:

• Bring up the Advanced menu (CTRL-ALT-D)
  • From the Advanced menu, go to Advanced>Character>Rebake Textures or CTRL-ALT-R
  • Body textures should load and appear as originally expected

Additional findings:

• Per Nyx Linden: The issue is that textures you baked using the 1.22 client aren't valid on the 1.23 client (the alpha channel is wrong). We cache these baked textures on our servers, so when you log in for the first time with a 1.23 client you might see this bug.
  • As I'm going to different regions I've not visited in some time, then donning avatars I've not worn in some time, I'm seeing this invisi bug. Rebaking the textures seems to be working thus far, and I'm not having the same issue with the same AV I've recently worn before in the 1.23 viewer.

What this amounts to is that for EVERY clothing/skin combination that you have worn in 1.22 and earlier in a given sim, there could be a cached copy on that sim's server of that baked skin, and 1.23 and later see that baked skin as "corrupted". So to fix it, you have to do the character rebake dance each time it happens, with each skin/clothing combination, in each sim that you have visited before, until you flush the old data out of the sim servers. Ugh!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5128 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.