Birthday Contest on FB?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Why have the birthday contest to win 10, 000 L on FB?  Doesn't that negate our right to anonymity?  If I am on SL and people don't need to know who I am in REAL LIFE, why ask us to post from our REAL LIFE FB accounts to SL page?  That makes no sense to me to tie my FB account to SL.  Have the contest INWORLD.

I just saw the contest listed here on the SL page, not on FB.  I don't even go to SL on FB. 

And I guess you are right, why post on FB when everyone doesn't even have a FB acct?

My point is basically that it is wrong to try to tie our personal real life info in FB to our SL accts by hosting a contest on FB for SecondLifers.  If they really want us to participate then it should be where all SLers can participate....IN WORLD!

Beauty Haramori wrote:

I just saw the contest listed here on the SL page, not on FB.  I don't even go to SL on FB. 

And I guess you are right, why post on FB when everyone doesn't even have a FB acct?

My point is basically that it is wrong to try to tie our personal real life info in FB to our SL accts by hosting a contest on FB for SecondLifers.  If they really want us to participate then it should be where all SLers can participate....IN WORLD!

While I agree contests open for all residents would be fantastic, I have to look at it form more than just that point of view, personally. 

As a business owner(not talking about sl here, lol) I had a contest open to my customers before, but they had to participate on a specific forum(message boards back then) to enter the contest. I know some people didn't like that aspect, and I can udnerstand why. It was still my contest, my prize, my product, etc...So I couldn't possibly appeal to everyone, unfortunately. I held other contests too, giveaways, etc...that didn't have the same type of restriction. It still did not necessarily appeal to all of my customers, and some were more than willing to let me know this. ALl I could really say was "I'm sorry you're disappointed in the contest, unfortunately I cannot cater to each and every person to ensure each and every contest or giveaway, will be right up his or her alley. I enjoy hosting contests, and I enjoy when people are able to participate even more. Hopefully in the future you will find a contest that appeals to you." I mean, really, what exactly can I say?

So, I liken contest, like this, to something like that. There are plenty of people who have both their FB and their Sl linked, in some fashion, so they will be the ones that participate in contests like this. Even if linking the two is not something you, individually, are willing to do. Those of us who do not, well, this is not a contest we can join. It certainly isn't the first contest LL has had that only some of the grid either knew about, or could participate in. It probably won't be the last either. It's not the end of the world, even if we don't liek it, or perhaps think of it as unfair. 

Their contest, their rules, our decision to participate or not.

yeah, thanks for a whole lot of nothing and basically a big "too bad" to me.  If SL's BIRTHDAY Contest isn't meant for all SLers than why have it?  It should be for ALL SecondLifers, and NOT  a SELECT FEW.  If that is the case, maybe they should just post it to you and whoever the other few are that like to have their personal and SL accts linked.  Then I wouldn't have to see it and question why?  Thanks for your input is was Sooooo helpful!

Tari Landar wrote:

Beauty Haramori wrote:

While I agree contests open for all residents would be fantastic, I have to look at it form more than just that point of view, personally. 

As a business owner(not talking about sl here, lol) I had a contest open to my customers before, but they had to participate on a specific forum(message boards back then) to enter the contest. I know some people didn't like that aspect, and I can udnerstand why. It was still my contest, my prize, my product, etc...So I couldn't possibly appeal to everyone, unfortunately. I held other contests too, giveaways, etc...that didn't have the same type of restriction. It still did not necessarily appeal to all of my customers, and some were more than willing to let me know this. ALl I could really say was "I'm sorry you're disappointed in the contest, unfortunately I cannot cater to each and every person to ensure each and every contest or giveaway, will be right up his or her alley. I enjoy hosting contests, and I enjoy when people are able to participate even more. Hopefully in the future you will find a contest that appeals to you." I mean, really, what exactly can I say?

So, I liken contest, like this, to something like that. There are plenty of people who have both their FB and their Sl linked, in some fashion, so they will be the ones that participate in contests like this. Even if linking the two is not something you, individually, are willing to do. Those of us who do not, well, this is not a contest we can join. It certainly isn't the first contest LL has had that only some of the grid either knew about, or could participate in. It probably won't be the last either. It's not the end of the world, even if we don't liek it, or perhaps think of it as unfair. 

Their contest, their rules, our decision to participate or not.

I don't care, like I said, I didn't even know about it.

But I am a little surprised that a FB contest is not kept on FB. Why even advertise at SL if you must be on FB to participate, every one on FB that is in SL would know about it, wouldn’t they? Or is FB unable to connect people like that? I thought that is what FB was all about, connecting people, yet this is beyond them, how sad. Guess I'm not missing anything by not having an account.

Beauty Haramori wrote:

yeah, thanks for a whole lot of nothing and basically a big "too bad" to me.  If SL's BIRTHDAY Contest isn't meant for all SLers than why have it?  It should be for ALL SecondLifers, and NOT  a SELECT FEW.  If that is the case, maybe they should just post it to you and whoever the other few are that like to have their personal and SL accts linked.  Then I wouldn't have to see it and question why?  Thanks for your input is was Sooooo helpful!

Wow...

Sorry, I like to think of things from a different perspective. If all you want is people to agree with you, the forums is probably not the best place.

I can't offer more than my opinion and perspective on the forums. I certainly can't make LL do what you want them to..or we would all be much, much better off in sl ;)

And no it wasn't a "too bad for you" kind of post. Stop seeing negativity in everything and you just might broaden your mind a bit, even if you don't agree with others; opinions and thoughts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3617 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.