Is there a way to tell if people are talking?

Tonks Palfrey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I went to a club where half a dozen people were standing around in what seemed like silence.  They all were standing in pairs like couples so I didn't interrupt.

After I left, I wondered whether they were talking in IMs or using voice.  I had shut my voice off because I figured it was using bandwidth.

Is there a way I can tell if they are talking?

15 answers to this question

This scenario always makes me laugh too. And you can't help but feel a bit awkward.

For what it's worth, when it's clearly a public venue with no public chat, I usually assume I've stumbled across a place where people come to hook up. Maybe that's not so - but it seems people stand around in silence reading each other's profiles or examining the avies and waiting for their IM window to light up.

Chances are they were in IM... Sometimes friends and I are also on private SL voice call or a different voice platform (i.e. Skype) in the background. When this is the case I try not to be in a club or other public venue. But when I am I try to keep an eye on local to respond to others.

But in answer to your question: No, there really is no way to tell. I can only imagine the fallout if there was some kind of graphic to identify who is in IM with whom... yikes!

Aurie

• Like 1

I wouldn't know for sure... but apparently some 3rd party Viewers allow you to see what individual avs are doing via a function called radar.

If you are really curious to know what is going on that may be a avenue you could explore.

And then there is always the option to politely ask someone...

this is not a way to tell for certain but it can help you make some fairly appropriate guesses.  if you enable Show LookAt, especially if you have Emerald or one of its siblings that puts names on the crosshairs, and if the people you are observing don't have Emerald and disabled their LookAt broadcasting, the crosshairs change color when they type even if it's in an IM, but i dont know how it is affected by voice.  the Emerald radar also has icons for a whole heap of activities.

radar:

http://modularsystems.sl/index.php/plugins/templates/jsn_epic_pro/images/components/com_agora/style/Olympus_Green/media/system/css/index.php?option=com_agora&task=topic&id=835&Itemid=2

LookAt:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Show_Look_At

Not that I'm aware of. There used to be a way to tell if someone had SL minimized and/or had an overlaying web brower (or skype) up over SL. It was an identifier iirc in the Mystic Tool Hud. However, I do not believe it works any longer as I have not seen it in mine in forever.

Just a sidenote to club owners/venues: If I encounter a club where there is live music or a live DJ and nobody is chatting in local because they are all in VOICE, I find that rude and offensive and will not go back. But that's just me. I don't do any clubs where they're all talking in voice because 1. Voice enabled lags the heck out of SL for my computer 2. It's rude to expect others to engage in voice (a form of RL) in order to participate 3. These are usually clubs with cliques and I don't like them.

Take it for what it's worth.

I think most people want to know if they can see others in IM to be sure they are getting the other person's full attention. If anyone knows for sure, it might be nice to post it for those who care. Mysti Tool supposedly shows a T if someone is typing but I have been aware of others typing in IM because they told me but I have not seen the T appear..so...

Hi Kisses:

Actually, the absence of the little white dot can also simply reflect that the person does not have Voice enabled - either they cannot or choose not to enable that functionality (it's not really a good indication that they are in private voice).

Aurie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.