Blender, Joining, Transparent objects?

Lucy Rust

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am somewhat new to Blender, but have been putting in my time and beginning to understand it. I am creating basic models and understand UV unwrapping (for the most part.) I am using 2.7.  I have created a model for a bomb shelter entrance. The model is a cylinder, with a torus handle (with the number of faces dropped) and two cylinders as inner handles. I have managed to join the handles and the main cylinder, but the torus does not play well. When I try to join it to the rest the whole build goes transparent?

I've tried uploading without joining and that doesn’t seem to be an option (I get a parse error)

Am I missing something? Please help. 

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 1.45.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-06-16 at 1.46.00 PM.png

Sometimes an object can be perfect with no problematic normal faces and when you join it to another "perfect" object, some of the faces flip. Oftentimes recalculate works but sometimes you actually have to select the problematic faces and flip them manually.

I haven't really seen a pattern to the why of the normal face issues. It does happen more easily if you are asking Blender to MAKE a new face. Happily I don't see those as often as I used to so I must be doing something a bit better :D.

Have fun.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3759 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.