Has something changed?

Darren Scorpio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For a long time I have been joining parts of a mesh model into one object within blender, this allowed my upload to SL to be lower Li (for most things I make it would be 1 Li) and also it allows for the object to be resized to very small without the need of a script. But as of a week ago joining objects in blender causes the uploaded to shoot the Li count to way high even when the low and lowest LOD are set to 0. Has anything been changed in the way we are supposed to upload meshes?

Any small parts with dense geometry, unjoin and import separately.

This is what I have to do when making a huge house with tons of geometry:  Import the whole thing mostly unjoined then replace each separate mesh with ones I import individually. Same meshes, lower LI.

Typically (historically and as of today as I just did a check) smaller items such as furniture do better when joined (unless of course you need a drawer to open or another reason to have separate pieces) -- larger items like houses have a lower land impact when uploaded in sections. 

Within those general "rules" nothing has changed for me. I uploaded a fairly complex house foundation (many bolts, framing etc) yesterday with long range LODs and it was 17 which I felt was good for the complexity and size. I just tried uploading a mesh that I had in world from last month and it came in at the same land impact as before. 

So have you tried seeing what the uploader says about a mesh that you have PREVIOUSLY brought into world joined?

It seems likely that is is a change in your mesh rather than any new rules. Also is it the DOWNLOAD that is increading the LI? That would be the obvious assumption. Maybe the mesh is simply too heavy. I never upload dense mesh, so can't speak to that.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3761 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.