Is this a SL problem or hardware

Charlene Brentley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Please can someone help! Every time i log on the loading bar gets to the end and then it drops saying "downloading clothing" then all i get is a blue screen. i speak to friends on MSN and they said they see me go on and offline. I've tried everything from virus scans, adaware scans, updating all my drivers and reinstalling my viewer. After 5 hrs of trying today i finally got on for about an hour before crashing and have had the same problem. This is driving me crazy. I run SL from a laptop. Bit laggy but nothing i can't handle. Now I'm worried its a hardware problem! Anyone out there can help?

17 answers to this question

If you are getting the Window's blue screen of death, then you may have a hardware related problem.  Before you run SL the next time make sure that your Graphics are set to the lowest possible setting.   You can access that from the login screen (before logging in) at Edit / Preferences.  Set your Quality and Performance slider all the way to the left (Faster/Low setting) 

See if that helps any.

--Cinn

Charlene.Brentley wrote:

The blue screen only comes up on my SL window not my computer. Everything else runs ok on laptop just not SL so im not sure if its my hardware. All my graphix down as low as they can go. I'm a heavy SL user so i'm worried i've burnt it out

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Client_parameters

Go there, see how to add the --safe command line to the start up.  See if that will get you logged in.  If so, remove all clothes and attachments, and change to a different skin.  Log out, then log back in without the --safe mode.  See if it works.  If it does work, then one of the items you removed may have a corrupted entry in the LL database.

One more item.  put --purge on the command line, and then try starting.  That will clear cache and inventory cache.  If that does not work, then there is a excellent chance that you will need to open a ticket with LL, and ask them to change you to the Default Test Female AV.

Also, you can try to download this: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ - and let it test your video/graphics.

ok so i left laptop into repair shop, cost me £120 for extra RAM, some settings fixed and files repaired. got laptop back and was able to get on SL for a few hours, next day same stoopid problem. Left laptop back into shop, the guy finds no problems with it except SL. What the hell is going on?? I'm at the end of my tether and ready to give up on SL

You can try a lightweight viewer, like Boy Lane's Rainbow viewer.

I would also run the Furmark test that Kokoro mentions, as well as a couple of other tests.  If you download HWMonitor, it will give detailed system temperatures.  Also download Orthos and try running it.  There are several test option, and I would try the memory test first, then a CPU test, and then the blended test.  Give them each about 20 minutes to run, and watch temps with HW monitor while you ruin the test.  Also, look in Control Panel>Adminstrative Tools>Event Viewer to see if there are any Application or System errors when you crash.

ok so heres wots happening now, my friend has logged on with my avi, no problems, hes stripped me of HUD's attachments and clothes, bascially he reset me to default... i made an alt and logged on no problem and everything is working fine.... so i tried loggin on with my own avi and same thing happens.... i ran all systems tests and my pc is perfect.......anyone out there have any ideas wth is goin on??

So your avatar can log in from another computer, and other avatars can log in from your computer?

Try manually deleting your cache folder:

Clearing the Cache  from Outside Second Life

If you're sure of what you're doing, you  can also clear your cache manually. With Second Life closed, go to the  appropriate pathway and delete all the files inside the "cache" folder.

• On  Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\\Application  Data\SecondLife\cache    
    • Alternatively, you may use the  environment variable %APPDATA%, to shorten this path to:
      %APPDATA%/SecondLife/cache
  • On Windows Vista: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\cache
  • On  a Mac: /Users//Library/Application  Support/SecondLife/cache

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5236 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.