Scripts in attachments aren't saved

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You had never had this happen before? I've lost plenty like that. I make a point of detaching and re-attaching regularly so as to cause changes to be serialized back to inventory.

Just as annoying is making a script change, then drag that script from worn attachment to inventory. You'll get a copy of the script without current changes.

I guess it all relates to the fact that worn items are just a temporary copy until serialized .

Except when you're scripting an attachment to behave as an attachment and you need to see if it works as an attachment... Scripting it on the ground won't work.

You have to remember to detach the attachment in order to save your work that you intend to use as an attachment...

Because according to LL, it's "not practical" to save the status of attachments while attached at all, because "some change many times per second".

It's a grand pain in the butt, especially before one knows it happens. Even then, it's a pain, although in the cosmic scope of all the things that are a pain about scripting, it's one of those happy cases where it's possible to work around it, however annoying that workaround is.

(Someday I'll post the whole story of failing to work around an insanely obscure bug in Linden plants, of all things. But not just now, because I'm busy failing to install Windows 8.1 because computers are the devil's devices.)

Due to this highly unreliable situation edititing attached scripts, I wrote a quick little backup tool that takes a copy of the scripts in your attachment and saves it in a rezzed backup prim. It's saved my butt a few times. Contact me in-world and I'll send you a full perm copy if you want it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.