lsl mono or not to mono

Vick Forcella

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

What an excellent question.

Originally, when mono first came to the grid, LL was saying that LSO (not-mono) was going to eventually go away or the option to compile in it would go away or something.

Now it's not so clear that they plan to do this, given all the trouble mono has caused.

This would be a great place for a Linden to step in and discuss this - to actually talk about how people should use their development platform. Unless you like being blue (then dead) I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that to happen, though.

• Like 1

For attachments stick with LSL unless it means a big bump in script count. LSL will be less laggy during TPs and sim crossings, even after the fix is installed for the current horrific Mono-rezzing problem (note: not in this coming 1.36 server deploy ).

But bear in mind that eventually LL wants to force conversion to Mono.  So you may have to update stuff at that point.

Vick.Forcella wrote:

I'll recompile in LSO and if LL forces implementation of Mono they better make it work first, and give us a year or two to update/ replace.... (i.e. LSO will never be made redundant cos I hace said so)

Babbage has said that they're planning on rewriting the LSL interpreter in Mono, so that LSL scripts would be wrapped inside a Mono script.

I am uncertain of the wisdom of this course. I mean they have done amazing things with the Mono implementation, I'm totally impressed, but ... I still think they're trying to eat something bigger than their heads.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5189 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.