After wearing purchased items they do not show up? Also how to wear different skins?

rraspberry

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hey, so I am new to Second Life. I got some stuff from the marketplace. I know that you have to rez boxed items/copy their contents to inventory etc., so I did so. However, some items I am able to wear and some do not show up when I wear them. For example, hair and some shoes and other clothing items show up when worn. But other clothing doesn't show up. I've noticed that the clothing with the little clothing symbols on the left that correspond to the clothing type are the ones that don't show up, but the clothing items with the orange box symbol on the left do. I am really confused and would appreciate some help with this!

Another question - I purchased a skin from the marketplace and after unboxing it and wearing it, nothing changes... same with eyes, etc. So how do I wear the new skins?

Thanks in advance!

4 answers to this question

Interesting.  The clothing and skin that are not showing up are all "system" items that are applied to your av body as textures.  It's not easy for me to explain.  First, though, I'd suggest that you go to a different sim and see if you still have trouble.  Try going to Furball, Smith, or Pooley, all of which are very quiet. If that doesn't help, try rebooting your router and modem by unplugging each of them from the power for a few minutes.  When you plug them back in, restart your computer.  Doing that will clear the router's RAM and may clean up the texture problem.  Without more information about your computer, its graphics card, and your Internet connection, I can't suggest anything more specific.

• Like 1

Hi rraspberry,

I'm going to guess that at least some of the clothing you purchased contained "mesh" and/or "prim" attachments. Clothing can either be "painted on" your avatar, just like your skin. Such clothing items have clothing symbols on the left indicating which type of clothing they are. Attachment clothes and accessories are actually objects that are attached to various points on the avatar, allowing clothing protrude beyond the avatar shape, as cuffs or shoes do in real life. Attachments have box icons. Newer mesh attachments deform with the avatar as it moves, older prim attachments are rigid.

Unfortunately, mesh and prim attachments may also protrude into the avatar shape as they do not know about shape modifications made by adjusting the avatar geometry sliders in the Appearance Editor window. If you purchase a skinny pair of mesh jeans, but have a rotund avatar, the jeans may vanish entirely inside the avatar shape. You avoid this problem in the extreme by purchasing the correct size of jeans. Even so, a correctly fitted pair of jeans might still fall inside the avatar shape in certain circumstances, like an extreme pose.

To avoid the avatar skin poking out through a mesh attachment, clothing creators supply "alpha" clothing layers that erase the avatar in those areas where it's likely to protrude through the mesh. These are the clothes that don't show up. Actually, these are the clothes that make your avatar now show up, or out.

So, when you don a mesh clothing item, make sure you also don the associated alpha layers as well. And when you're done wearing the mesh clothing, make sure you also remove the alpha layers, or you'll be partly invisible.

I hope that helps "clear" things up! ;-).

And if it's the case that clothing layer stuff that should be visible isn't showing up, your avatar isn't "baking" and you might want to read this...

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Avatar/I-have-tried-everything-i-know-to-get-my-avi-to-rez-no-luck-help/qaq-p/2719378

Welcome to Second Life! Good luck!! Have fun!!!

• Like 1

As Maddy says, those clothing items with the clothing symbols are "clothing layers" painted directly on top of your avatar skin.

If you are wearing mesh clothing, or are using one of the new Mesh avatars provided as "starter avatars," this type of clothing will not show up.

Wear a standard shape and remove any mesh clothes and associated alpha layers.  Then you can see the clothing layers.  Now you can decide if it's OK to wear some or all of your mesh clothes over them.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.