Translator for use in IM?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi I have a question can you get a translator that works when you talk to someone in IM?

At the moment I have to do it the long way around and when doing so, those around me must think I have lost my marbles talking to myself.  For what I do now is copy and paste what the person has said in IM into my chat box, making sure my translator is on.  Then read the enlish version.  Type my response in chat, copy the Translation and paste it in to IM.  This is teadious and frustrating.  Surly there is a better way of doing it?

Thanks for trying to help.

However I am not using SL viewer, but Catznip. But even when I was using the SL viewer, I don't think I saw anything that you mentioned.  Others that have been on longer than me and use other viewers also seem to have the same issue.  

Has this become an issue that has been forgotten about?  

well you can if you want to pay.

Google and bing both charge for that service on SL.... greedy b#$^ds

Anyway type in translator in search... under places your should find a sim that is giving  out translator huds for free.

Only downsides are you have to read the manual that comes with it... click the ? when wearing to obtain the manual... to know how to set it up and you must make sure the power button icon is green and not red.

Also some languages come out compeletly messed up like Hindu for example can get really crazy if you try to translate it to english with the HUD.

And the HUD can crash with a script error, meaning it won't work until you relog, if there are people spamming gestures like crazy in a foriegn language.

Best advice is to try to learn the language, its both easier than the HUD and can help you in RL as well. Good Luck!

I just saw one at mp...

"Can be use with IM 
For now LSL scripts can not listen directly to IM, and therefore can not translate Instant Messages. However Q-Translator provides private channels to bring in private IMs using copy and paste. The solution is not perfect but is the only currently feasible."

maybe worth trying...

There's no way in LSL for objects (in this case a translator hud) to "hear" IMs in the way they can hear messages sent on the public chat channel, 0.    Can't be done.  So there's no way for a translator hud to translate your message directly.

Some huds provide a sort of work-round, in that you can type stuff in chat on a non-public channel and the hud will translate it for you using llOwnerSay (so only you see it).    So you might receive an IM in French, copy it, paste it into public chat, prefixed by /8 (if 8 the channel the hud uses -- I think mine uses 8) and the hud translates that into English for you, so only you see it.   Similarly, you could say your message in English on /8, get a French translation, and copy/paste that into the IM box.

Or you could just keep Google Translate open in Chrome, IE, Opera or whatever and copy paste stuff forwards and back with that, which I find rather easier (and safer, in that it doesn't risk my forgetting to type the /8 bit).

• 9 months later...

Innula Zenovka provided the information about the technical side of the translating challenge. The tech is such that any translator in the marketplace is only going to handle Local Chat. Even the one that claims to work with IM's and Group Chat uses a copy paste method. They did work it out so you can do everything in the viewer, but you still copy paste.

There are only four ways to handle translation in SL:

• Speak the language and do it yourself - not many of can
  • Use the viewer's built in connection to Bing or Google translation - has a cost
  • Use a Linden Scripting Language (LSL) translator tool
  • Copy paste from web translations - Web Bing or Google Translate

The viewer's built in service incurs a cost. Google charges US$20 per million characters translated. But, what does that really cost us? Google prorates billing based on how many characters are actually translated that month.

I have one chat log that I let run run for 20 months before clearing it and starting with an empty file to boost performance a bit (it is a very small bit). In 20 months the text sent minus time stamps, which the viewer does not send for translation, amounted to less than 3 million characters. So, if I translated every word I typed into Local Chat it would have cost say $30 for 20 months or $1.5 or L$375 per month.

I am pretty sure only 1 or 2% of my chat ever needs translation. That puts my monthly cost at something I could pay by mailing in pennies. Google doesn't bill for tiny amounts. In other types of their services they wait until some reasonable amount needs to be paid or billed. If I never get to $10 in a year are they going to bill? I don't know.

The LSL transaltors in the marketplace run from L$0 to L$500. You can read about those here: Second Life Free Language Translator and Update on Metanomics Translator. Please read both.

DapperMuis wrote:

Hi I have a question can you get a translator that works when you talk to someone in IM?

At the moment I have to do it the long way around and when doing so, those around me must think I have lost my marbles talking to myself.  For what I do now is copy and paste what the person has said in IM into my chat box, making sure my translator is on.  Then read the enlish version.  Type my response in chat, copy the Translation and paste it in to IM.  This is teadious and frustrating.  Surly there is a better way of doing it?

As an ESL'er, my first language is Dutch, I have learned the past years (and years..and years....) online, that it is best for conversations to not use translators at all.

Either speak the language of the person you speak to, or just don't.

This may sound harsh, but I have given up on people using web-translators that gharrwables their text into some Medieval/South African/Flemish/Dutch, leaving me totally confused and cross-eyed (while they thought they made sense) or me trying to talk back - at a point to where talking to my kitchen table gives better responses.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3377 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.