Should I set up a Kickstarter to give the Lindens life drawing classes?

arabellajones

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The new Mesh AVs for the new residents to choose are a real curates egg.

But the No Mod shapes are solidly in the badly proportioned mould of all newbie AVs since SL Year Zero.

Not everybody in the real world is a supermodel shape, but the Lindens can't even manage to get that standard right. They need lessons.

Time for a Kickstarter?

arabellajones wrote:

But the No Mod shapes are solidly in the badly proportioned mould of all newbie AVs since SL Year Zero.

What comes to the no mod shapes which come with the mesh avatars, one can use modifiable shape with the mesh avatars.

But nevertherless, those mesh avatars look rather horrible - walking statues with frozen faces, eyes and hands. The skins are very bad too.

Coby Foden wrote:

arabellajones wrote:

What comes to the no mod shapes which come with the mesh avatars, one can use modifiable shape with the mesh avatars.

But nevertherless, those mesh avatars look rather horrible - walking statues with frozen faces, eyes and hands. The skins are very bad too.

In their defense (kind of) gorgeous starter avi's would rather ruin the learning curve here. Part of getting into SL is making your avi. Learning how to dress yourself, how to unpack, edit, shop for body parts (totally creeped me out when I started)  If we all showed up looking like supermodels right out of the get go, what would be the hook? Playing with making my avi was what drew me in, without that, I doubt I'd have gotten sucked in to stay.

UncommonTruth wrote:

In their defense (kind of) gorgeous starter avi's would rather ruin the learning curve here. Part of getting into SL is making your avi. Learning how to dress yourself, how to unpack, edit, shop for body parts (totally creeped me out when I started)  If we all showed up looking like supermodels right out of the get go, what would be the hook?

We don't need supermodel default avatars from Linden Lab. What we would need is a new excellent default avatar shape. Linden Lab could drape bad skin and clothes on the excellent default shape. For the beautifying, the resident designers would take care of that part. The consumers would take care of individualizing their avatars - which is impossible with mesh avatars. Do we want to fill the grid with clones? I think nobody wants that.

Then we could start all over again to invidualize our avatars and play the very nice dressing up pastime of what lots of us like very much. That's the hook, new excellent default avatar shape. No designers would be out of job and income. One big advantage with excellent new default avatar shape would be that it is a standrad. No chaos in selecting skins, and clothes as it is with mesh avatars - each needing things specifically designed for each mesh avatar. I wonder why Linden Lab fails to see this.

Marianne Little wrote:

No, LL need glasses. :matte-motes-nerdy:

The no mod shapes was a mistake. They were not meant to be no mod, Ebbe will fix that. 

Only no mod shapes was a mistake? How about the clothes? And UV maps for skins? And moving mesh eyes instead of those dead fozen ones?

Anybody can "fix" the no mod shape thing by wearing modifiable shape with the mesh avatars. Well, perhaps not a brand new resident for which those avatars are primarily meant for.

Personally I cannot help but feel that this whole release of the starter fitted mesh avatars was a mistake. It just adds confusion.

Linden Lab say in their blog:

"These avatars are designed to give new users a more appealing set of choices as they start their time in Second Life."

A more appealing... no kidding? Seriously? :smileysurprised:

hands.jpg

armpit.JPG

Coby Foden wrote:

Linden Lab say in their blog:

"
These avatars are designed to give new users
a more appealing
set of choices as they start their time in Second Life.
"

A more appealing... no kidding? Seriously? :smileysurprised:

Just look at those hands....ready to strangle someone.

And that armpit........an armpit fetishist's delight!

arabellajones wrote:

The new Mesh AVs for the new residents to choose are a real curates egg.

Not everybody in the real world is a supermodel shape, but the Lindens can't even manage to get that standard right. They need lessons.

Time for a Kickstarter?

Silly, girl.  LL is not the least bit interested in learning anything about design... which may or may not be a good thing, depending on how you look at it.  It's perfectly obvious that these were cobbled together for one reason and one reason only.  I can see it now... "Oh no!  Fitted Mesh is not going over very well.  We need something, anything, to get people on board with the idea.

"I know, we could make some new starter avatars to illustrate it usefulness... yeah, that's the ticket.  But let's not spend too much money on it... we just need to show off its functionality, not pay someone the big bucks it would require to make them look like something decent.  No one will know any better, anyway."

...Dres

Oh, I agree with you.

But the majority of Lindens are not in SL to enjoy themselves. It's a job, and probably one they don't like much.  They wear the same avatar and outfit until they quit working for LL. They are on work, and as soon as their hours are over, they leave SL with a sigh of relief. While the residents log in to do many other things, like customizing their appearance.

I am not surprised that they deliver us these avatars. It should be required in their contracts that they shop inworld and change their appearance (shape, skin, hair, clothes) at least once a month. This way they would get a feeling for what appearance is all about.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3668 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.