Someone's trying to hack my account, what should I do?

harley Chrome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I'm getting email from Linden Labs with a subject of "SecondLife: Password Assistance"

telling me to "Click the link below to reset your password." I never asked to have my password reset.

The email contains a line at the bottom saying "Your IP Address .....) which seems to be a Comcast IP from halfway across the country.

I haven't clicked any of the links. My password is a random upper and lower case with numbers and puntuation marks, so I hope it's pretty secure. I looked at the email headers and it really is from LL.

It's very unsettling. I'm not sure what I should do about it.

10 answers to this question

Don't click that link asking you to reset your password if its concerning... problem solved 

phishing emails asking you to click a link and provide into are a dime-a-dozen, its a cause and effect thing, if you don't do it you're not giving your info away... you've aleady done the right thing but if you're still concerned about it being compromised go through the LL website to change your password.

• Like 1

harley.Chrome wrote:

I'm getting email from Linden Labs with a subject of "SecondLife: Password Assistance"

telling me to "Click the link below to reset your password." I never asked to have my password reset.

The email contains a line at the bottom saying "Your IP Address .....) which seems to be a Comcast IP from halfway across the country.

I haven't clicked any of the links. My password is a random upper and lower case with numbers and puntuation marks, so I hope it's pretty secure. I looked at the email headers and it really is from LL.

It's very unsettling. I'm not sure what I should do about it.

along with the advice already given of reporting it to the Lab, change the email address associated with the account, and if possible don't use a popular one like yahoo, hotmail, gmail etc.  it's probably not a bad idea to make a new one for the purpose, and with the new one when it asks for an alternate email also don't use one of the popular services.

Great advice also see Linden Lab Official:Safeguarding your account and protecting your password

This article discusses the following topics:

• Why keeping your password safe is important
  • Tips for keeping your password safe
  • Some strategies used for stealing your password
  • Password reset tips
  • What to do if you've been the victim of phishing

Linden Lab Official:Someone else has my password; I may have been the victim of fraud.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5220 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.