MAJOR LAG

ROYCE Firehawk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

I've seen only the usual lag which LL feels contributes to a wonderful SL experience.  What is the viewer's lag meter indicating as its origin (i.e., server, network, or client)?  What graphics settings are you using?  Have you altered the default settings by using the custom graphics settings?  But last, you may well be experiencing more lag due to everyone wanting particle snowfall everywhere you go inworld right now.  Turn it off.

• Like 1

Hello Royce, try ZenWarrior's great suggestions ; also see  Reducing lag, Turn off WindLight rendering and How do I check for packet loss (network lag)? And here's How do I turn off particles?

• Make sure your computer meets all of the Minimum System Requirements. It's best to exceed them in order to prevent bottlenecks, since the minimum system requirements are the minimum hardware required to run Second Life at all. A slower processor, older video card, or low memory can contribute to low framerates.
  • Make sure you have the latest drivers for your video card.
  • Take a look at the graphics settings in the Preferences window if you haven't already. Try moving the Quality and Performance slider to Low.
  • Check to see if your hard drive light is showing a lot of activity. If it is, then your system may be running low on memory and using hard drive swap space instead, which is significantly slower.
  • Make sure your Internet connection meets Second Life's minimum system requirements.
  • If you're using wireless networking, you should try troubleshooting with a direct wired connection; we allow, but do not support the use of wirless network connections. I'm having problems while on wireless networks
  • You might need to turn your bandwidth settings down in the Preferences window if your computer is receiving more network data than it can handle.
  • Try teleporting to a quieter area, or one with fewer objects, to see if the situation improves.
  • You might also read our Statistics Guide to verify that the problem is low frame rate (Basic FPS in the Statistics window).

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi Royce,

thx for your post!

Yes u r right, I have lag issues also.

I am running SL on a high end pc with top performance, and everything set in ULTRA MODUS on a 24" LCD screen 1980x1200 resolution. Normally I never experience lag, but since last week it is running very unstable and increasing badly. Some of my friends have the same problems. Tried also the different viewers; emeral, hippo, normal sl viewer and the release, but it lags in all 4.

hope this answer helps u forward

best regards,

Ghostdog Kohime

Hello Royce, as you can see from other posts you most definitly are not the only one having lag issues. I've been experiencing quite a few myself as are many of those of my friends list. It probably IS more than just your video settings or your bandwidth but of course, we can attribute this to possibly another hiccup in the asset server. Give it about a week and if it still hasn't gone users may want to start asking more questions. Keep an eye on the blogs for announcements from linden labs and just play it by ear for now I think.

Here's hoping that things work themselves out though I won't be just holding my breath with fingers crossed lol

-Moro-

I dont think its just you or your system settings.Ive also noticed an increase in lag the last week or so,even in areas or clubs where I used to have no problems at all.now im getting slower frame rates in some places and more lag than usual.I read somthing that said that LL had a web server system go down two saturdays ago.I was in world at the time with a friend around 4 or 5 pm. SL time,and we both crashed at the same time.after finally getting back in world I not only got a bunch of chatter from different people saying that they just crashed,but everything was rezzing in strangely for a couple of days after that and then cleared up.this might have somthing to do with this problem.also LL has been running rolling restarts area by area with a 5 min. warning that your area is shutting down,so maybe this part of a system wide upgrade.this has had me wondering also why this seemed to be happening,so Im glad to hear its not just me and maybe part of a bigger problem.

TY all for replying .. my system requirements are all good .. and I also noticed it sometimes acts like surges of lag its very strange and I use to never get lag . I hate to say it but I am glad Im not the only one experiencing this.. I so very much appreciate all of your imput ty so much

When trying to minimize lag, the first thing to do is to determine what kind of lag you are experimenting. Basically, there are 3 categories, each with their own solutions. Linden has incorporated some handy features in their viewers to determine lag.

Firstly, there's a small lag-meter accessible via the Help menu (in SL viewers). It shows you the 3 lag-categories:

1. Client
  2. Network
  3. Server

The little balls in front of each category tells you, according to their color, their state (Green = OK, Yellow = Some Problems, Red = Bad)

Here's a breakdown of those 3 categories:

Client:

basically, your PC/MAC and your personal settings in your SL viewer (Preferences window). If your graphic settings are too high and/or your computer's graphic card is too slow, Client would either be yellow or red in the lag-meter.

Network:

refers to your specific internet connection speed (as perceived by the lag-meter). If this section is either yellow or red your general connection is either too slow, you possibly have file-sharing programs (or other downloads) running at same time, a bad wi-fi connection/more people using same connection at your location, etc.

Server:

refers to the server run by Linden Labs. Each sim is on a server (usually more than 1 sim/region per server). Servers do not have endless resources and in certain circumstances (ie, many people in sim at same time; depends a bit on type of server but for mainland sims this usually is around 40 people) can cause annoying lag (ie, 'jerky' movements, freezes, chatlag).

SL's Support Center offers detailed help on how to avoid lag, change your settings/connection via the Lag Meter topic.

Secondly, there's the Statistics Bar in the View Menu and which gives more detailed info about connection, ping, time-dilation, people in sim (main agents), people outside sim but using some of sim's resources (child agents), scripts in sim, script time, etc.

Note how this statistics bar is much more detailed and technical. It can be usefull to further filter out causes of lag after having used the lag-meter described above.

To recap, first find out the cause or causes of lag (it can be more than 1 category). Then tweak your system/settings via the link given above.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5211 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.