Second life shuts down and reboots my comp.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I recently moved and acquired a new computer. I have been a part of Second Life now for almost 7 years and until now It has been a great experience. Second Life continues to shut down my computer and makes it reboot. I have never experieced this before in the 7 years I have been apart.  Here are my new comp stats: CPU"4820K, 16 gigs of quad channel memory, Single Terybyte WD Black hard drive, Nvidia GTX 780 Graphics card with 3 gigs of memory 79X motherboard, wirelss mouse.

I have already ruled out overheating (none of the components are overheated), I have uninstalled my graphics driver and reinstalled it. I have windows 7 and all is updated. I have uninstalled sound devices, mouse and keyboard settings and reinstalled. I have done everything I can think of and SL still shuts down my computer. It is the only game or site that does this so I know it has something to do with SL. My computer is highly capable of playing SL without batting an eye. I have adjusted graphic settings on my card.

Here is the kicker. I can log onto Second life and do nothing but look at my avatar and nothing happens. Its only when I begin intereacting in game when my comp shuts down and sometimes I can go for maybe 30 minutes or so and sometimes only a few seconds. I use firestorm, however I tried the SL default viewer too and the same thing happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I have been in SL so long I hate thinking about leaving simply because it shuts down my comp.  Please help! Oh..and I never have gotten a blue screen. This has been happening now for about 4 weeks.

Shade Indigo wrote:

Ok I recently moved and acquired a new computer. I have been a part of Second Life now for almost 7 years and until now It has been a great experience. Second Life continues to shut down my computer and makes it reboot. I have never experieced this before in the 7 years I have been apart.  Here are my new comp stats: CPU"4820K, 16 gigs of quad channel memory, Single Terybyte WD Black hard drive, Nvidia GTX 780 Graphics card with 3 gigs of memory 79X motherboard, wirelss mouse.

I have already ruled out overheating (none of the components are overheated), I have uninstalled my graphics driver and reinstalled it. I have windows 7 and all is updated. I have uninstalled sound devices, mouse and keyboard settings and reinstalled. I have done everything I can think of and SL still shuts down my computer. It is the only game or site that does this so I know it has something to do with SL. My computer is highly capable of playing SL without batting an eye. I have adjusted graphic settings on my card.

Here is the kicker. I can log onto Second life and do nothing but look at my avatar and nothing happens. Its only when I begin intereacting in game when my comp shuts down and sometimes I can go for maybe 30 minutes or so and sometimes only a few seconds. I use firestorm, however I tried the SL default viewer too and the same thing happens.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I have been in SL so long I hate thinking about leaving simply because it shuts down my comp.  Please help! Oh..and I never have gotten a blue screen.

No program should ever cause your computer to shut off and reboot without your commanding it. What kind of power supply do you have in that computer and what's its capacity?  It sounds like your power supply is either insufficient or defective.

AZZA 1000 W 80gold. Remember it is only Second life that does this not any other site. I would think that would exclude it being the powersupply. I play Skyrim, WOW, Guild Wars 2 and others that are most like more graphically intensive than SL and it doesn't happen there.

Hi Shade. I purchased a similar pc (same graphics card and pc maker) about 5 months ago, and I am having the same problem. Only SL shuts it down....I have checked my temperatures and all is ok....everything is up to date. The shutdowns are very random, hard to pinpoint anything.

I contacted the companys tech support and they are sending me a new power supply to try out. They first had me do a test with LinX and I had no problems. It's very frustrating. I hope you find a solution. Please post here if you do, I would be anxious to see what worked for you.

Yeah, if it's triggered by SL and not heat related it's most likely a fault either with the power supply or with memory.

LinX sounds like a good thing to try, but I'd probably start with memtest86 to check all that quad-channel memory in the OP's machine. 

Assuming both power supply and memory check out, and just because the OP describes some fairly new hardware, I might suggest checking the motherboard manufacturer's site for critical updates to BIOS or drivers (besides any new graphics card drivers, as already suggested).

All my drivers are up to date. Kelly thanks for that post. At least I am not crazy and the only one with this problem. Please let me know if the new Power supply works! I will do those tests you suggested. It doesn't make any sense to me that it would be a power supply because if it were it should shut down randomly all the time not just with SL, but let me know it did work. :-)

Sorry didn't realize the link would require a log in. This is the answer to the jira I filed in Firestorm.

Hmmmm the grass at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coral%20Reef%20Island/160/71/24 is pretty evil.

I dont crash when camming through this grass but I was watching my GPU load and when not passing my cam through that grass, GPU load is about 30-40%. Panning cam through the grass my GPU load is always at 99%. When the grass is out of my view, Im getting about 100FPS at that location.  When panning cam throrough the grass I drop to about 10 FPS - pretty drastic performance hit. I have a feeling your computer is going to be restarting itself whenever your GPU load is at max.

A slightly different case but take a look at https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-5719 Especially what Runitai says here - "The crash mode and trigger for the crash make me think it would happen with any program that hits 100% GPU usage. Panning the camera through dense layers of transparencies (the foliage) causes lots of overdraw" Your grass appears to be causing the same.

If you grab GPU-Z (its free) you can keep an eye on your GPU load to see if the computer is always restarting when the load gets to 100% - http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

CPU: Intel® Core i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz (2672.77 MHz)
Memory: 12279 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.3523
OpenGL Version: 4.4.0

RestrainedLove API: (disabled)
libcurl Version: libcurl/7.24.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1e zlib/1.2.6 c-ares/1.10.0
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.3.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.26
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.5.0009.17865

Settings mode: Firestorm
Viewer Skin: Firestorm (Grey)
Font Used: Deja Vu (96)
Draw distance: 128
Bandwidth: 1000
LOD factor: 3
Render quality: Ultra (7/7)
Texture memory: 512 MB (1)
Built with MSVC version 1600
Packets Lost: 0/876 (0.0%)

Ok. After contacting the company I bought my comp from they had me run some test for my cpu and vid card. My cpu passed with flying colors ran for over an hour at 100% with no probs. My vid card however when maxed out crashed exactly like it does on SL after 30 seconds. Have a bad vid card. I have to remove it and send it back and they will send me a new one. I will update you when I have the new one installed.

SL does not shut down your computer, your computer shuts down due to a problem.

SL is a great hardware test btw. It's the only application that can drive my computer to a different noise level. (fans rotate faster) I have enough reserves to run it on a hot summer day though so no problem.

If the computer shuts down your hardware cant handle a high load so its crap or overclocked too far or defective.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.