How can a renter verify that a region (sim) is on a class 5 server?

Troy McLuhan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

10 answers to this question

There are also mainland sims that are class 5 - any region created since November of 2006 is on a Class 5 server.  This may not be exactly what you are looking for but this wiki has alot of great information about sim performance as a renter I am not sure how much of this information you can access but you can check the sims performance and compare various regions:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Region_Performance_Improvement_Guide

and here's another with detailed information about the statistic bar:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Statistics_Bar_Guide

Correction - all mainland sims are Class 5 - only an estate manager for a private region has access to the server information.

Message was edited by: Jessika Rang

That's somewhat helpful, since the motivation for wanting to know if a region is on a class 4 or 5 server is to get a sense of the potential performance.

Many real estate ads say "All our sims are Class 5!" or similar. Is there any way for a potential renter to see if they're being conned?

There are several tools available to determine not only which class server the region is running on, but other characteristics as well such as estate ownership, prim bonus factors, whether the region is openspace or not, and some of the common basics like time dilation and lag measurement. Although I'm sure much of the information made available through many of these tools could be obtained through other methods, something like this conveniently packages all that relevant information:

https://www.xstreetsl.com/modules.php?name=Marketplace&file=item&ItemID=1091445

Be aware that some estate owners have set un-sold/un-rented parcels as no-rez/no-script. I have a wearable version of my own performance meter (though it doesn't show whether Class 4 or Class 5) to use where object-rezzing has been disabled. But when both rezzing AND scripts are disallowed, I simply move on. Having been an estate manager I do know that some owners tend to be un-truthful in reporting which type of region they own. Sometimes it's intentional and other times they simply don't know. But I also know it's almost impossible for a resident to easily obtain that information. Having access to gadgets that take the guess-work out of the scenario is a godsend, but to use them, scripts need to be enabled on the land in question. In a pinch, you can even "wear" an otherwise rezzable device and the scripts inside will still function. Should the estate or land owner not wish to make accommodations for you to use such a device to make your determinations, take my advice and leave.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.