What is a Timed Ban and how is it done?

Cinnamon Lohner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just ran into an interesting ban problem that I've never seen before.  Someone was ban from group property but it was a timed ban.  So when I looked at the ban list, the person's name had a timer next to it counting down.  I've never seen an option to ban someone for a specific period of time.

Any ideas how this was done?

TIA

-Cinn

14 answers to this question

Could it be a purchased Security device ? From XStreet, there's many items, including one that says,

How do I set the ban time period for banned avatars?

To set the ban time period of the device left click on the device, thenin the blue menu system click on the conigure button and then on theban time button. If set to Unlimited the owner must manualy remove theavatars name from the lands ban list.

Thanks everyone.  I think the original question is answered and I thank you all for that.  I still would like to know if there is a potential security hole here where a device like this can ban someone from group land even if the owner of the device did not have proper authority to ban.  But I suspect that's a dumb question to ask since it opens a nasty can of worms and insight to what is possibly a griefing tool.

If anyone does have any visibility into the security aspects of preventing such a device from being improperly used, please IM in world or post here if you think the information is relevent as safe

Thanks

--Cinn

I've read all I can find about these functions and can't find *any* mention of permissions required but I will check further.  Presumably the object containing the script has to be deeded to the group, just as for setting Media, but that would mean anyone with privileges to deed objects to the group could use these functions for griefing and it makes land-bans practically worthless.  Hehe, I must write a few security systems quickly.

I'm afraid it's really no big secret how somebody without ban authority can do this.

First off, because the land is group-owned, only the GROUP has the authority to run scripts which modify any of the parcel settings on the land. This is an extremely important distinction.

So if I am a member of your group, and I have been given the ability to rez items on the group's land and then deed them to the group, I can deed anything I want to the group, and it will become the group's property. This also means that any scripts that are in it can change things about the settings on the group's land. Audio stream address, video stream address, allowed "whitelisted" avatars, BANNED AVATARS......

So all a group member had to do was to deed a scripted object to the group, tell it who to ban, and then take it back into their inventory again, and their chosen victim is banned from the group's land. It's very easy to do it even without ban powers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5293 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.