Whats Wrong?!

Timothy Teromaximus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

15 answers to this question

This could have several causes, but since some information seems missing from the OP's post, here are some questions that might help the more tech minded to resolve the issue:

1.  What are the specs of your system?  Processor, video card, sound card, amount of RAM?

2.  Does it only do it with Second Life or does it struggle with other games or graphics intensive programs?

3.  What have you already tried in order to resolve the issue yourself?

CPU: Intel Core 2 Series Processor (2393 MHz)
Memory: 3070 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista  (Build 6000)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2400
OpenGL Version: 2.0.6747 Release

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.16.4 OpenSSL/0.9.7c zlib/1.2.3
J2C Decoder Version: KDU
Audio Driver Version: FMOD version 3.740000
LLMozLib Version: - 2.01.24527 (Mozilla GRE version 1.8.1.13_0000000000)

Is this what you wanted?

I am having exactly the same problem since the last official version of SL Client. It is also the same problem with the Beta version now out. Not a problem on my Mac PowerBook G4 or G5 tower computers but happens every time I am on SL even with the lowest visual settings.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro1,1

Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number Of Processors: 2

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.7f10

Serial Number (system): RM7282SRWS4

ATI Radeon X1900 XT:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1900

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x7249

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-A52027-202

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.202

Displays:

Cinema HD:

Resolution: 2560 x 1600

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

hp L2335:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Depth: 32-Bit Color

Core Image: Hardware Accelerated

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Supported

Rotation: Supported

Your PC specs are in the recommended range for SL, so that is not the problem, unless you have lots of other programs running at the same time.  SL tends to be a resource hog, so check how much of your total memory is being used up after a few minutes.

Two hardware things to check are the running temp on your graphics card and CPU, and the graphics driver version.

Even if the components are fast enough, if they have too much dust on them, or airflow is blocked, they can overheat and stop working.

Some ATI drivers are known to cause problems also.

A software related issue is your cache.  Second life stores some information locally, so you dont have to download it again.  This cache can become corrupted.  There is a place in the edit menu > preferences to clear the cache.  A more drastic option is to entirely un-install second life, and reinstall it from scratch.

Update the drivers.  Those are very old, judging by the OpenGL version.  ATI has a long history of screwing up their OpenGL implementation, and Second Life exercises that more than perhaps any other application.  Games may get by with ancient drivers--especially if they use DirectX graphics.

And *do* check out the graphics card cooling situation.*  SL will push the GPU about as hard as it can run, constantly, so if the heatsink / fan is dusty, the hardware *will* shutdown (this seems to fit best with the described symptom).

People use this card, and Vista, for SL all the time.  It's not a great card, and we'll all be happier when Windows 7 makes Vista history, but it should be workable.

*Edit: On re-reading, I realize that "everything is clean" probably means dusty cooling isn't the problem.  I was fixated on software when I read that, and was thinking it meant something very different.

Hello Timothy

Sorry I took so long to answer after your submission of Hardware.

ATI Graphic Cards have a small problem with VBO. Go into Preferences and Graphics Tab then bottom Right is Hardware Options. Disable the VBO there and Shaders too. I think that will keep you online.

Best Wishes

XL

More then likely dust bunnies. Have you cleaned it ever? I'm serious ...........

See video:

Important: Discharge all static electricity from your body by touching metal before you begin.

Opening a new PC can void it's warranty. Read the warranty first. Generally, new PCs do not need to be cleaned

Used compressed air to clean the system. In most cases you need 'not" remove anything, systems do vary, however.

Pencil erases are good tools to clean dirt from fans. Do not over spin (spin them too fast) fans

Also see the other videos on this website for cleaning other parts of the PC, especially the graphics card.

If it's a laptop there are video for cleaning them as well. Just search YouTube for them.

Disclaimer: If you use these suggestions you do so, 'AT YOUR OWN RISK". No validity or authenticity is expressed or implied. [Faubio Alter a.k.a. D.E.G. 1/6/2010}

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 5225 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.