Mmm 30% Discount If I Leave A Review

Codex Alpha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

30% discount on a product if I promise to leave a review.

"30% discount if you leave a review"

Mmm should I do it and save $L 500?

I wish I got such a deal on the last building I bought for $L 3000.

Is this a valid tactic? Offering discounts for reviews?

Perhaps I will offer similar myself if this becomes commonplace.

The question then becomes, will the seller make good on the promise if my review is anything less than wanted?

It is legal as long as they seller gives you the 30% rebate regardless if the review is good or bad.  Other merchants have done this kind of thing.

Whether  you get your rebate or not depends on the honestly of the seller.  If you don't, you have no way to enforce it and LL will not get involved as the dispute is between residents. So it's buyer beware.

Does it work?  I've never seen an item become a bestseller where the merchant paid for reviews, but I can't answer if it boosts sales or not as I've never tried it or known anyone personally that has that i can ask.

Is it ethical to pay for reviews? Only you can decide. 

Personally if I saw that reviews were paid for, I would disregard all of the reviews.of the product.  I probably wouldn't buy it either. 

I like to read reviews ...so I try to go back and leave one too. Trouble is I usually do this if I like a product and not so much if I dont. Lately I discovered, under my name in market place...a drop down menu that takes me to all the purchases I have made (my order history) and I can go back easier to those products to give review. 

Once I reviewed a wonderful wall clock and the merchant sent me a thankyou note and the story how he came to make it....it was a memorial to his partner who loved butterflies. Now I love it even more.

A couple of times I have bought clothes that offer  gift vouchers for reviews and they have been honoured. 

Presumably on a product that expensive you have inspected in inworld, so you already know if you will like it or not. If you like it and are going to buy it anyway, I see no reason NOT to take the discount. As long as your review if valid and what you believe, what can be wrong with that?

Is this good marketing? Maybe not, but it is the seller's choice  If you write a glowing review when there are ISSUES -- well that is another story, but why would you do that ?   :D.  

Since I know how FEW folks actually take the time to write reviews (for me less than 1 percent), I sometimes wonder when I see brand new releases with many glowing reviews. Fishy?  Yep.  

A well known prefab store has a so called rewarder system. You purchase their prefab from the market place, leave a review (It can be a gushing 5 star one or a PO'ed 1 star review) and then you visit their in world rewarder terminal to get a couple Linden back.

I find this to be a very good practise as the system doesn't judge between good and bad reviews and you get your rebate instantly in world without having to talk to a real person. That way there's no pressure at all when getting the rebate, a system can't be pleased or be angry about a review :P

They've been using that system for years and they get a lot of truthful reviews as far as I can tell. And yes, their products are mostly 4-5 star, for good reason, they're really good, especially their newer stuff. At this point in time they have no need for that system at all but they keep it up because apparently they like to give back.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3690 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.