what are the pros & cons of having an Adult sim

IMGypsy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

9 answers to this question

I prefer running Adult sims simply because it means I don't have to worry about what the tenants may be doing.   While I don't encourage mass orgies on the beach, and most Residential sims I've ever owned have been pretty quiet places,  I've never felt happy having to police tenants like that, and I certainly don't like the idea of being held responsible for what my tenants might get up to.

For example, do you know what the official rules about having pixel sex in a private residence on M-rated land, and what you have to do to stay within the ToS?   I do, but I bet not many people do.

Go for Adult and you don't have to worry about such nonsense.   You can easily impose your own rules in the covenant, and that way you know what they mean!

• Like 3

Strictly speaking, though, if you want to use your sex bed at home on M land, you have to set the parcel to group access only (yay! banlines!) and set it for avatars to be invisible from outside the parcel. Even if you have a shop at ground level and "live above the shop" in a skybox, several hundred metres above, and thus well beyond the effective range of any banline.

I'm one of the directors of the Freedom Continent, which is a large private estate of A rated sims. We have some very high-traffic sims on the estate -- Bondage Ranch, Adult Hub BDSM and so on. Similarly, Old Lars club on Zindra is so busy that it's quite usual not to be able to get onto the sim because it's so busy.

I don't think any sim can rely on passing trade, whatever its rating. Give people a good reason to visit the sim and to stay there, and publicise it well, and they'll visit. Best of luck.

It depends on what you plan on doing with the sim.

Personally, I love adult sims, because they provide the most freedom compared to the other sims. If you plan on letting people rent parts of the sim, this might be a big advantage. I noticed that there are usually less adult places offered for rent than M or G rated ones. If I could, I would rent a parcel on A rated land, where I don't have to care what poseballs are in my garden furniture or else.

If you plan on creating a public place on that sim, the rating might influence how people see the place. Its part of the image you present to others. If thats good or bad is subjective.

• Like 1

My sim is currently M rated. I have a renter who would not object to changing it to A rating. I have two music venues and several spoken word events on the sim now. My thought were can I rent more land/skyboxes with an A rating. My partner and I have our parcel no cam and group owned and the other renter I know has the same thing. So from that standpoint we are good. Just weighing the pros and cons. The sim has been in existence for 2 1/2 years with me as owner. Just trying to figure out if that change will be of benefit. And, yes, perception is important but not the whole picture either. I would not have common areas with sex pose balls by any means...just looking at it as more options for those wanting land.

Pro:  Adult land offers the most freedom, and that may make it more attractive to tenants.  You may be able to charge a little more for this reason.

Con:  Some people consider all Adult land to be places of sin and depravity, and won't even look at it.  This may cut down a bit on your potential customer base.  If you or your tenants are planning on having stores or clubs there, remember that some of your customer base either won't, or can't (in the case of teens who can only go to G areas), access your lan

While I like the freedom of Adult land, I think the fact that the vast majority of land in SL is rated Moderate should give you an idea of what people, taken as a group, prefer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.