I keep crashing at random times - it used to be when I walked through a doorway or was camming -

Fantasy Nikita

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I keep crashing at random times - it used to be when I walked through a doorway or was camming - now it seems that all I have to do is be standing still - it just does it when it feels like it - I have tried clean install - didn't work - this has been going on for a month or so already.  Anybody have any answers?   Thank you.

4 answers to this question

All we can issue here is wild guesses, which won't be too helpful. What you can do to not only help yourself out but us too in helping you, is to go to Help in your viewer and then About. It will show your system info and viewer preferences. Edit your post and add all that to your first post. 

It'll help narrow down the problem to see if it's with your system, connection or whatever else.

• Like 1

Syn's right about the wild guesses, Fantasy.  Here's mine.

Both walking through doors and camming can introduce lots of new objects into your view. This can simultaneously cause an increase in texture downloads and an increase in texture memory swapping and view processing in your graphics card. If your PC/laptop has accumulated a lot of dust, or if you have recently increased your graphics setting (particularly enabling shadows or DOF), your computer's operating system may be throttling the graphics processor (GPU) to keep it running at safe temperatures. This can cause SL to crash, as it's not terribly tolerant of GPU throttling.

If that's the case, it's time to clean out the dust bunnies. 

Syn's right about the wild guesses, Fantasy.  Here's mine.

Both walking through doors and camming can introduce lots of new objects into your view. This can simultaneously cause an increase in texture downloads and an increase in texture memory swapping and view processing in your graphics card. If your PC/laptop has accumulated a lot of dust, or if you have recently increased your graphics setting (particularly enabling shadows or DOF), your computer's operating system may be throttling the graphics processor (GPU) to keep it running at safe temperatures. This can cause SL to crash, as it's not terribly tolerant of GPU throttling.

If that's the case, it's time to clean out the dust bunnies or dial back your graphics settings.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3660 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.