Mesh not uploading correctly

dalocogamer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Howdy hey I am using mesh today XD. I am learning how to use blender in my project. I made a dough nut with the center in the middle cut out. It looks like how I want it to be in Blender. When I upload it to Second Life the center is filled in. I know there are easier ways to make a doughnut but I'm doing this way through Blender. 

1) How come SL filled in the center of the hole?

2) How can I avoid it in another build similar?

When I was uploading the doughnut, SL said I was using under 200 verticies. Its not a pretty doughtnut but that is not what I am going for. I'm going for learning. 

Hi

When you say it is " filled in " do you mean the visual mesh or the physical mesh ?

That's a silly question if its a regular edible doughnut  :)  but if you meant a large doughnut shaped mesh ring then you would need to also create a physics mesh (collision shape) and upload that along with the visual mesh.

Then when it is rezzed inworld you would need to edit your doughnut and change the Physics Shape Type from convex Hull to Prim.

As Chic has already said a couple of screenshots would help.

You have a lot of Ngons in your mesh. Ngons are faces with more than 4 sides. It is best to try to always have only quads or triangle faces .

When you upload a mesh the Uploader converts all faces to triangles.

Because you have some awkward looking Ngons it could be miscalculating and creating triangles which are filling in the opening.

So you could try converting your mesh into all triangles in Blender before uploading.

In Edit mode select all of your mesh and then find the Mesh menu at the bottom of the 3D window .....

Mesh > Faces > Triangulate faces

and try uploading again .

the Collada exporter has an option to "triangulate on the fly". It uses the default triangulation method from Blender. However as Aquila Kytori pointed out, it is sometimes a good idea to check the triangulation before exporting it :)

Also you should always enable either the "SL/OpenSim static" preset or the "SL/Open Sim Rigged" Preset from within the Collada exporter's file selector box .Look at the lower left corner of the box, there you find the export settings (there are a few options available, so the preset should be what you want )

I made a copy of the mesh and when in Face select mode "hidden" faces appear as if those faces were seen from behind with Backface culling enabled. Except even when I disable Backface culling they show like that . This seems a bit strange ?

Hidden Faces.png

Unfortunately Daloco I think you need to scrap this mesh and start again .

Edited to add:

OOOPS those 2 orange dots are the 2 Ngon faces

Advice is still to redo the mesh from scratch lol

Edited to add:

For some reason we have the same number of vertices , tris and faces in Blender but in the Uploader your mesh has a few more .

vertice count.png

While learning to build with mesh and even sculpties this is how I solved problems such as these. I would delete this doughnut and start again. Instead of trying to solve this mystery I would move on. It's the fastest way to make progress. If I encountered the issue again and again then there would be a need to get help.

This is my advice on how to solve your issue and speed up your learning process.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3697 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.