Stiil Restarted

summer Sabahi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

It could be a sign of overheating, cleaning all the cooling ribs and openings that the air can flow freely. This is often an issue I see "inworld". I don't know if there is a temperature monitor that could show you the temperature of the CPU and GPU. That would be helpfull to see, if that is realy the reason. If you want to do it on your own, you would need to get some air in a can and with that you can usually blow the dust out your PC/Laptop, but you might need to block the fans for that

• Like 2

If you don't have a temperature monitoring program, get the free CPU-Z and GPU-Z utilities to monitor your fans and temperatures.

Anything over about 65C on your CPU or RAM is too hot.  Anything over about 85C on your GPU is too hot  Increase fan speeds, add fans, or get better coolers.

• Like 2

Summer, I've never seen Mac OS itself crash as a result of running any SL viewer. If the viewer itself was crashing, I'd completely agree with Sven and Lindal about GPU loading being the issue. Mac OS will trottle back the graphics processor when it starts to heat up. At some point the throttle is pulled back so far that the viewer crashes. Other programs are not as temperamental, and keep running.

If you really are seeing Mac OS crash, I'm at a loss to explain the problem. But, on the off chance it is a temperature issue, try scaling back your draw distance and setting your graphics quality to "low" or "mid" to see if the crashing stops. If it does, it may be time to blow out the dust bunnies, or live with the lower settings.

Good luck!

As some previous posters recommended, get a temp monitor. In my case, I use SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php) to keep on top of how warm my laptop is getting. Second Life will run your graphics chip/card hard and cause a rise in temperatures. Blowing out your machine should improve your temp problem immensely.

In my case, I was running on low settings, reaching 190-200f and my laptop would go black and be uncomfortably warm. I would have to force a restart.

After getting hold of some canned air, I blew every grill, input and the opened cd tray with air to clear any dust that might have accumulated inside. As a result, I now run about 110-115f while running SL, on high settings too. Fortunately, I didn't suffer any damage to my laptop (as I can see).

Keep in mind, these are only suggestions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3726 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.