Please help. Why can't i instant message anyone?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I hope someone can provide some advice on this. 

I was chatting away when i lost the chatbox (i was doing a couple of other things at the same time).  I clicked on her IM tab which showed her messages still popping up briefly, but  i couldn't reply and i couldn't get the conversation panel to show up again.  I then left clicked on her avatar and tried all ways i could think of to IM but nothing worked.  I relogged but the problem persisted.

So now i can't IM anyone at all and when i click to try i just get that annoying noise (the one that means "you can't do that" or "forbidden action").

I've never had this happen before and i don't know what to do!  :matte-motes-agape:

One great option that may help is to create a backup of all your settings.  You can do that in Preferences > Backup (assuming the new version of FS has it in the same place).  That way, should you need to install or reinstall another version, you can restore all of your settings.

squashy Beeswing wrote:

Thanks Marianne.  I installed the new FS and the problem appears to have resolved itself.  I'd still like to know what caused it and what to do if it rears its ugly head again but at least i have options now regarding whom to ask for help. :matte-motes-inlove:

To recover missing floaters (windows) should it happen again see http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/missing_windows 

This is a bug in Firestorm Version 4.5.1. which has been mostly resolved in newly released Version 4.6.1. unless you use the Vintage or Latency skin. 

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.