Allegorithmic launches Substance Painter Beta at special 50% off early access price on Steam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Theres an Export all channels button. Not sure if its included in the demo? Working with the full version here

yes.JPG

(EDITED: Apparently it exports it all as png? hrm.)

Those guys over at Allegorithmic work hard and deserve as much support as anyone can give. They're creating the next-gen texturing pipeline. With just two programs, rather than the current not-so-great one that everyone is working with thatconsists of 3 or more programs.

ETA: If anyone needs help with it just toss me an IM. I have been and will be working with it a lot in the future. I will try to answer your questions as best I can, but do not expect me to hold your hand through everything, I do have things I have to do :P

• Like 1

Pamela, you can export several maps with Painter, as MistahMoose says. Of course, we only need diffuse, normal and specular for SL, while you can add AO and other effects (dirt, grease, weathering, etc.) to the diffuse.

When Painter was announced I expected Allegorithmic to set a price in the order of several hundreds US$. The current price is an introductory offer at 50% off to launch the beta, which means that the final price should be US$150. The price is simply amazing for such a sophisticated tool.

[EDIT]: I have just read in the Blender Artists forum that with the offer at discounted price available through Steam you'll get a copy of the full non-commercial version.

Take a look at these videos to get an idea of what you can do with Painter:

Please, remember that the program is in beta and it's quite sophisticated, so there is a lot to learn.

Steam is just a distribution channel. I am not enthusiast about having to buy the software through Steam but that's the way it is. I hope to have the chance to buy directly through Allegorithmic in the future.

Some months ago I also bought the commercial version of Substance Designer at 50% off through Steam. SD is also a very good tool for texturing models and the two programs can work together. The only problem with SD is that it has a steep learning curve. A couple of months ago I suggested to the folks at Allegorithmic to start a wiki the way we have it here in SL. That would help a lot documenting the use of the many filters and features the program has. The staff has showed some interest to my suggestion but it is not a priority at the moment. They probably have a small team.

Check the Allegorithmic channel on YouTube for more videos on Substance Designer and Painter.

If you purchase it on steam you can request a code for the standalone as well. (Oops didnt see you had edited and said this)
Also, the program techinicall IS hundreds of dollars. We are currently just using a standard edition, once released the commercial version will be $500ish I believe. I do not remember exactly but it did start with a 5  :P

Interesting news. I have received Allegorithmic's latest newsletter. Allegorithmic modifies the Substance Painter EULA. From now on it lets users with a non-commercial license to use the program for commercial work for up to US$10000/year

This is the text:

Substance Painter obviously aims at innovating when it comes to 3D painting. However, our philosophy is also to democratize 3D painting among digital artists and we do not want to exclude independent developers who might not have the budget for a Commercial license.

This is why we have modified the EULAs (End User License Agreement) of all our software to reflect the reality of many of our users: you are now officially allowed to use the Non-Commercial license for any commercial work, as long as you don’t generate more than US$ 10,000 in revenue per year. We believe this is a fair limit and a good way to let newcomers and small shops/indies join the revolution. To read the full update, click here. As of now, we will call the Non-Commercial license the “Indie” license and the Commercial license will become the “Pro” license.

EULA available here: http://bit.ly/N4rbHf

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just received an email notification that Allegorithmic is offering a summer discount on their products for both Steam versions and non-steam this offer is good until June 28th.  Also there will be an upgrade soon to beta ver 8 of  Substance Painter.

Indigo Mertel wrote:

Interesting news. I have received Allegorithmic's latest newsletter. Allegorithmic modifies the Substance Painter EULA. From now on it lets users with a non-commercial license to use the program for commercial work for up to US$10000/year

This is the text:

Substance Painter obviously aims at innovating when it comes to 3D painting. However, our philosophy is also to democratize 3D painting among digital artists and we do not want to exclude independent developers who might not have the budget for a Commercial license.

This is why we have modified the EULAs (End User License Agreement) of all our software to reflect the reality of many of our users: you are now officially allowed to use the Non-Commercial license for any commercial work, as long as you don’t generate more than US$ 10,000 in revenue per year. We believe this is a fair limit and a good way to let newcomers and small shops/indies join the revolution. 
 As of now, we will call the Non-Commercial license the “Indie” license and the Commercial license will become the “Pro” license.

EULA available here:

That is great that they did that, and it almost makes me want to try it. At the same time tho, how do they know how much some1 makes, and what if most of your work has nothing at all to do with texturing? I make much more than 10k, but only a tiny bit has anything to do with texturing. For as little texture work that I do, I can't see paying alot of something, especially if I have to buy the pro version.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3630 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.