Is There An SL Viewer Compatible With Older MacBook?

Bondo Quixote

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm going to be traveling soon. My travel computer is an older MacBook. I used to be able to load and run Second Life on it, but the latest versions won't run at all on it. Is there some version of Second Life or alternative viewer that's compatible with old MacBooks that still works (and if so, where can I get it?) or am I fated to remain in real life as I sit in my sparse hotel room and drink whatever excuse for coffee they've got? Dammit, I've got villages to sack and plunder!

I'm going to be traveling soon. My travel computer is an older MacBook. I used to be able to load and run Second Life on it, but the latest versions won't run at all on it. Is there some version of Second Life or alternative viewer that's compatible with old MacBooks that still works (and if so, where can I get it?) or am I fated to remain in real life as I sit in my sparse hotel room and drink whatever excuse for coffee they've got? Dammit, I've got villages to sack and plunder!

Bondo Quixote wrote:

Biggest blocker on Macs appears to be the OS, which can't be pre-Snow Leopard. You can still get Snow Leopard as a download for $19.95 when I checked a few months ago. If your MacBook is so old it won't run Snow Leopard? Pretty shiny doorstop when it comes to SL.

I checked and the only way to get Snow Leopard is to buy it on disk and have it mailed to me. I have no idea why Apple won't sell it as a download, but damn, that's stupid. Looks like no SL for my trip. Think I'll just save up my pennies and buy a Chromebook. **bleep** Apple if that's their attitude.

Bondo Quixote wrote:

I checked and the only way to get Snow Leopard is to buy it on disk and have it mailed to me. I have no idea why Apple won't sell it as a download, but damn, that's stupid. Looks like no SL for my trip. Think I'll just save up my pennies and buy a Chromebook. **bleep** Apple if that's their attitude.

Don't expect to find a way to run Sl on a chromebook.

J.

If you really need to get into SL while you travel with the Macbook, think about trying SL Go at OnLive. You'll get a gorgious render on the Old Macbook.

You can get 3 hours of connect for US$8 or 10 for $25.

They say they support Mac, but check that your version will run the 'desktop' version of SL Go on your Mac.

I'm sorry I am so late to the party - you may have already finished your vacation by now.  But to throw this in:

I have an ancient iBook G4 that I use as a "travel computer" - just for email, storing pics, podcasts, web access, etc. - and just wanted a version of the SL viewer so I could "check in". Viewing mesh, etc. wasn't that important to me.  So I found it.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Old_versions

WAY back when, we had Snowglobe. Go to that site I gave you and scroll all the way down until you get to the Snowglobe section, then download each version of Snowglobe (starting at the last version), going backward through versions until you find one that will launch. I found that I could run ver. 1.23.2995 . On a G4. How awesome.

Is it pretty? No. BUT it is functional. And if your travel computer is as old as mine, this will serve you nicely.

Have a great day! :catvery-happy:

Edit: Oh, P.S. I run Leopard (OS X 10.5) on the iBook - hence Snowglobe. If you CAN run Snow Leopard (10.6), then the current crop of SL Viewers should work. Snowglobe is for those who are stuck with OS X 10.5 or older, or are on a PowerPC machine.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3760 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.