Homestead Vs. Commercial Land

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hazeonelove wrote:

So are the previous requirements that were stated by Utu true? That I have to own a full sim first? I'm not saying it's not true. I'm just obviously misunderstanding something, somewhere.

Go back and read again.  I told you "Owner" is subjective.  When you rent on a private island, it will state you as "Owner" in the General tab of About Land.  It does not mean you actualy own it.  Go to the Covenant tab to see who the real "Estate" and "Owner" names are. 

If you are going to rent a homestead, be sure you get one where you have estate agent rights.  This gives you access to the region tools and lets you set the maturity rating, change the terrain textures, set the day/night cycle, set your own covenant, control access on the estate level, restart the sim yourself etc..  In short as long as you pay your rent you will have total control of your island. 

If you rent the entire island and it is a stand alone island as opposed to one connected to other islands, then it makes no difference if its commercial or not, you get to decide.  However from previous posts about your project, if you rent just a parcel, it has to be commercial land. not residential as even though its a beach, its still a kind of club.

Some estate owner will allow you to change the name of the island itself, but most will want you to pay the fee LL charges for this.

As far as other beaches on homesteads, these people may be renting their homesteads or they may own the estate.  If they are estate owner, then they also own at least one full sim besides the homestead,  There are people that can afford it out of their own pocket, but chances are they are generating an income somewhere on one or more of their islands.

I only skimmed the thread so if it was mentioned already, ignore me but there's one key difference between homestead and full sim.

A full sim is guaranteed a processor core (unless LL have changed this model on the quiet).

A homestead shares a processor core with up to 4 other homesteads.

So while a full sim with estate rights can set their own max avatar limit, a homestead is limited to a maxium of 20 by LL, because the processor resource is shared with other homesteads.

Further, one homestead can be exceptionally busy and cause an impact on the other 3.  Script performance is much worse on homesteads than a full sim.

These should also factor into your requirements as much as pure land space.  You can think of a homestead as a 1/4 of a sim in terms of resources but where the land space is expanded to be the size of a full sim.

Ya, it was mentioned. But it's appreciated! For an update...

UPDATE:

I went ahead and got myself a full sim. Crazy? Probably. But one, I can afford it (right now), and two, the 1/4 sim was just not big enough. Granted, it worked wonderfully. BUT... The things mentioned by Sassy, are what inevitably made me decide to suck it up and get the full sim. Having your own processor... Beautiful. I have absolutely NO lag. Neither does any of my visitors, even tho there's a lot going on. I have the max ability of 100 avatars at once. Again, beautiful. I tested it out with some friends and friends of friends... Had about 30 people roaming around, playing games, going on rides, swimming, one guy was building something (I'm allowing building and rezzing on my land, for the people that want to mess around with vehicles or planes or guns, etc. But damage and push are off.), one female was I think testing all the chairs and sits/cuddles, etc. And the ONLY people that had lag were the people running off of laptops and or obsolete internet connections. But still, no one got booted. Another thing is the prims. Holy hell... 3,750-15,000 is such a peaceful difference. I say peaceful becaus, now I never worry about prims. Ever. Also why I'm allowing building and rezzing on my land. But I don't have to check my prim count every day anymore. I can just... But whatever I want, put it wherever and already know that I have 11,000 prims still lol. It's seriously a load off my mind. Cuz I love building and creating sims. Well, arranging sims. So it's nice. I posted a new thread on General Discussion, asking a few questions and stating some things. If any of you are DJ's and or Club Owners/workers... Please go read that post. I need any info I can get on "club" things. Sploder, Contest Boards, Donation Boards, Shoutcast, etc.! I know nothing about any of that. Besides the donations and the contests, which are pretty self-explanatory to me. Thank you again!!!!

Just as a general word of advice, I would allow rez but with auto return enabled for everyone except the land group.

This way at least the junk and potentially griefy stuff will get returned without drama and those who are entitled to rez permanently may do so via group membership.

It only takes one turd to rez a prim rezzer and you can wave your free prim goodbye.

Further, a typical exploit would be to rez a transparent object to cover a sploder then wait for people to right click and pay what they think is the sploder. By which time the offender had now become a little richer.

If you don't think this will happen, it will.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

(1)  Mainland:  This land is contained in the large continents that you see when you open your map.  This land is bought from either LL or from residents.  This land is considered "owned" and you are free to do whatever does not violate the TOS, Community Standards or Maturity ratings.  To own this land you must be a premium member.  You pay monthly tier based on the size of the land directly to LL with USD.  They do not accept Lindens in payment.  You can sell your Lindens on the Lindex, which gives your account a USD balance, and pay with that, or with your payment option you have set up.  Failure to pay either your tier or your premium membership can result in account suspension until arrears are paid.    

Just as an aside/extra info: one can pay mainland tier in L$ through a tier rental company. The land has to be group owned, and a member of the company added to the group (with minimal rights so they can't mess with the land or group). They can then donate tier, offsetting some or all of the tier cost. This is especially useful for someone needing to cover the difference between large tier levels - for instance, someone owning more than half but less than an entire sim - because you can rent the tier in small, irregular amounts if necessary. It is usually more convenient than selling L$ for USD and can often be cheaper.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.