Linux Vs Windows.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Wolfee Yaffle wrote:

I use Linux Mint 64bit with the 64bit Singularity viewer and I don't have any issues getting SL working. Unless I try to compile my own viewer. THEN I run into failures (even if I have the dependencies). But using the prepared download works like a charm, so I really don't really need to build my own. I was just curious to try it... 64bit firestorm works too except media on a prim will not play youtube videos at all. It works fine under singularity. I think the firestorm team has plans to fix it, but it's a back burner plan, so for now I use singularity, which tries to keep up with latest features, but the rendering of shaders is sub-par compared to V3 based viewers.

MoaP in Singularity 64 bot works with youtube for me as well as self compiling. Seems Mint is mssing something there.

J.

Jean Horten wrote:

If you'd take a look outside your little unityfied ppa multiarsch world, you would find a different world where you would not have to fiddle around with manual installation of a ton of  32 bit multiarsch  libs manually. (no, that will not work in *buntu or debian). 

Oh right. I'd forgotten when Ubuntu broke their simple 32-bit compatibility library package, but yeah, it was MultiArch.

If I were to start with Linux from scratch now, I think I would try something other than Ubuntu. But I hate switching distros. It's as bad as switching to Windows -- maybe worse.

Whoa seems to be whole lot of confliction here. All I know is I turned to you and other SL residents for help. You and others were really arrogant like your posts here making me feel like an idiot; instead of giving me a workable answer. I am a noobie to SL but I know I hated windows 8/1 and wanted to try linux. I saw this roleplay guy's posts and decided to check it all out. In college I was taught to trust but verify, so that is what I did. I found out it is true IBM HP and Dell are selling pcs with this ubuntu 14.04 on them. Jean if it is junk why are they supporting it? I am a NetFlix user and check out youtube often so I checked into what the roleplayer said about google chrome. It too is all true. Freaked me out to see amazon supports it too. For a junk operating system seems many big companies are now supporting it. Ubuntu is Linux? I noticed if I type a SL search under linux it pulls up. If I do a net search under linux it shows up too. I decided to approach john in sl for windows and ubuntu help. Unlike you he was polite and answered all my questions lol there were many. I trust but verify and I found out this roleplayer dude really knows what he is talking about whether it be windows or linux. I dumped windows 8/1 and switched to this ubuntu 14.04 and everything this dude roleplayer shared with me works. Who cares how long you been in sl. You sound like a school yard bully exposed for what you really are.

mrbwentsoftonme wrote:

Whoa seems to be whole lot of confliction here. All I know is I turned to you and other SL residents for help. You and others were really arrogant like your posts here making me feel like an idiot; instead of giving me a workable answer. I am a noobie to SL but I know I hated windows 8/1 and wanted to try linux. I saw this roleplay guy's posts and decided to check it all out. In college I was taught to trust but verify, so that is what I did. I found out it is true IBM HP and Dell are selling pcs with this ubuntu 14.04 on them. Jean if it is junk why are they supporting it? I am a NetFlix user and check out youtube often so I checked into what the roleplayer said about google chrome. It too is all true. Freaked me out to see amazon supports it too. For a junk operating system seems many big companies are now supporting it. Ubuntu is Linux? I noticed if I type a SL search under linux it pulls up. If I do a net search under linux it shows up too. I decided to approach john in sl for windows and ubuntu help. Unlike you he was polite and answered all my questions lol there were many. I trust but verify and I found out this roleplayer dude really knows what he is talking about whether it be windows or linux. I dumped windows 8/1 and switched to this ubuntu 14.04 and everything this dude roleplayer shared with me works. Who cares how long you been in sl. You sound like a school yard bully exposed for what you really are.

It's always nice to just contact one side.

If you would have connected me in world, we could have discussed the pros and cons of *buntu vs other linuxes too, but, well you made your choice. Welcome to the Ubuntu side of Linux which will bring you into  big trouble sooner or later.

Have fun in the Ubuntu camp and with the  aging Ubuntu 14.04 and with all the design and usabiit flaes of Ubuntu's mobile device UI Unity.

If you think I am a school yard bully, then I just reply: I have been through 3 years with Ubunru and debian ( the system Ubuntu is based on) and bith pissed me off so many times with  senseless decisions dictated by marketing or devs only that I will never go back to this crap, and with Ubuntu cooking their own display server ( which is verly likely noit being supported by AMD or Nvidia any time soon and with Debian switching their init system, big, big problems are already appearing on the horizon.

If mr. roleplayubuntuisbestandyourr8yearsexperiencewithlinuxisworthlessandyou mustuseubuntuforevercauseeverythingworksexcept64bitfirestorm can help you with this or with the rapidly ageing package base of Ubuntu 14.04, then be glad, he does not even know how to get 64 bit Liarstorm to work under *buntu, so his 'I recommend what works' statement is utter hpocrisy and fanboyism.

J.

I just logged into SL using phoenix firestorm 64 bit linux program following john's instructions. I left secondlife for a while all because I could not get sl to run on ubuntu. Before I left sl for a while I saw many posts from ppl stating how arrogant the linux helpers were in secondlife. Let me get this straight unless we run a version of linux you think is greatest since peanut butter we are all idiots?  Who knows how long john has used windows, or linux whatever or maybe he is a skidrow bum. Should I need to master the art of childish name calling I shall contact you. So far everything he has posted i tried has worked. I want somebody to talk to me not down to me. Thanks john for all posts.

I gotta agree with KingolaBear. Sure it matters a little which distro you're using because each does things somewhat different, but thats no reason to be attacked for using the distro of your choice. I try to be as helpful as I can in the groups whenever I'm able to pay attention. I'm usually afk or scripting though. :)

• 2 years later...

Updated 2/4/17- Here we goooo: W/10 Home x64 vs.  current Debian Linux x64 distros (Linux Mint 18, Ubuntu 14.04 & 16.04.) With the releases of the latest Firestorm & Singularity Windows & Linux viewers I chose to remove my old post, so as to re-test. I will compare RAM usages, hard drive space used, processor advantages, etc. :

Hard drive usage:

W/10 Home x64 OEM (not an upgrade) Build 1607= Approx. 23GB includes decent 3rd party antivirus/firewall software, 2012, 2013, 2015 Micro$oft C++ packs. SL viewer software, current Nvidia GPU driver, Windows data mining of your personal info software, etc

I shall use Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x64 since I often use it for SL= 8GB includes ALL those 32 bit libraries I add, current Nvidia Linux GPU driver, SL viewer software, e-mail, etc (NO Cortana here LOL)

RAM usage @ idle Both with 8GB RAM installed)

W/10 Home x64 Build 1607= Approx. 1.5GB

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x64= Approx. 1GB

SL RAM usage (prolonged logins)

This is where it got interesting. On W/10 using the latest Firestorm Windows x64 viewer 8GB system RAM went quick on a prolonged SL login. On the other hand using the latest Singularity Build 6916 W/10 x64 viewer 8GB RAM was borderline for a long login session in SL. After W/10 x64 system RAM is used up this is where Windows "virtual memory" takes over, which results in a big SL performance hit. What of Linux?

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x64 using the latest Firestorm-Linux viewer it ate up 8GB system extremely fast. On this Linux Debian distro it uses a "memory swap" process where it removes RAM from the RAM hogging program & puts in back into the system RAM when the distro needs it to remain stable. Again a SL performance hit. What of the latest Singularity-Linux viewer Build 6915? The same as on W/10 8GB system RAM was borderline adequate for a long SL login session.

Virus/Spyware/Malware/Trojan horses

W/10 home x64 Build 1607- It is like all Windows operating systems you better have decent antivirus protection even while in SL

Linux distros- 99% of them have no effect  :)

What if you own an AMD FX processor?

You'll be very unhappy on any Windows OS (operating system; due to the facts you'll suffer from Windows inability to correctly use Bulldozer/Vishera architectures. AMD FX CPUs suffer from core parking, core scheduling & core throttling problems on WIndows. It is sad even an Intel i3 can lay waste to an 8 core FX CPU even if you overclock it even on W/10 Home x64. There is a good reason why many who use a Linux distro (several) post they use an AMD FX processor. 

There are no AMD FX CPU perfromance hinderances using a Linux distro. The AMD FX CPUs perform far better on Linux than they do on Windows (7,8,8.1 or 10) On Ubuntu 16.06 LTS x64 & Linux Mint 18 Sarah x64 both offer updated AMD processor microcode firmware update under Software & Updates> Additional Driver.

Which is faster for SL????

I do have a home network of pcs I built some with dual core Intels, one with an AMD triple core, & one with FX-4100 I been busy testing them ALL W/10 & focusing on Ubuntu 16.04 x64 operating systems. ALL of them ran approx. 30 FPS faster on Linux using the Singularity Linux 6915 viewer with a few minor viewer tweaks.

Linux is harder to setup & use than W/10 isn't it?

Approx. 5 years ago that may have been true, but not now. the user interface (UI) of Ubuntu 16.04 x64 or Linux Mint 18 x64 distros is far more user friendly than W/10.  Initial setup of Ubuntu 16.04 x64 is tedious for SL use, but I have posted all you'll need to know for SL use on the Forum post: "Community Support" where is it?   & after initial setup it is more stable than W/10 along with being just as easy to use too.

Activation

W/10 yup you are going to have "activate" it in order to get those security updates & you better do it within time limit Micro$oft dictates,or it will become inoperable. It is one install per computer & now W/10 Home x64 will cost you up to approx. 100 USD.  Linux does not work that way.

You do not have to activate a copy of Linux you downloaded & burned to a DVD. You can install it in as many computers as you desire too. Ubuntu is "open source" and relies only on users' donations.

Summary: As others have posted Linux isn't harder to use than Windows it is just different that is it.  After you get a Debian Linux x64 distro setup it does run SL faster than W/10...It is personal preference. As for me I like SL to run as quickly as possible, so the choice is simple I use Linux. I had a Forum friend "Phil" post I enjoy W/10; however that is not the case. I have it currently only on one of my pcs for few reasons. Every once in a while I login SL using it, so as to stay up with Windows/SL technology & accurately answer W/10 SL Forum questions/provide tips. Furthermore, it reminds me of why I use Linux for SL. I do not reap the benefit of buying cheap desktops with W/10. I start with an empty pc case & build my own, no offense to those who buy HP, DELL, etc. Also, no offense intended to you Phil.

Quick FYI all testing was done using a HDMI cable connected from the Nvidia GPUs' HDMI out port to a 32" 720p LED HDTV used as a monitor. Resolutions were set @ 720p on W/10 & Ubuntu 16.04 x64.....I am ouuta wind LOL

"I Love Simplicity"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2639 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.