Linux Viewer forcing updates on every login

Amber Malifozik

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I installed the linux viewer about a little while back and it seems today there was an update for it.  The problem is that now after this update, it wants to "required" update every time i login.  What's going on?  I just can not imagine 3 forced updates in 4 hours.

Does anyone else have this issue and know how to fix it?

Wow.  That's all?   Maybe I should have mention I had to do that in my first post.  I honestly feel liket hat answer was for your post count.  That's lame.  How about not saying to write a ticket in the JIRA, next.    I all ready know I can do that, too. 

What I am more looking for in replu is something like "the linux viewer actually did update 3 times in 4 hours.  Or the linux viewer updater is broken due to blah blah.

Yeah, as much info as possible in first post is always useful.

From my perspective "no" the updater isn`t broken and "no" hasn`t constantly tried to update again

Running sl viewer 3.7.1.286557 on linux 3.2.0-59

Maybe check that the installer did update to the latest version correctly

Good luck fixing it

if you are running SL from a symlink or desktop launcher, check that it's pointing to the right version. the SL updater for Linux makes a backup directory and installs the new version under the old directory, and this generally works, but it may confound a launcher system that tries too hard to be clever. if it used a hard link somewhere instead of a symlink, you could get this kind of problem.

Nalates Urriah wrote:

A couple of versions back we hit this problem on Windows. The Lab changed the  install directory to a new name and did not clean up the shortcuts Windows users rely on. The result is people starting from a desktop/taskbar shortcut kept restarting the old viewer.

the updater and the naming of the viewer exacutables are different under Linux, so there was not an opportunity for that bug to manifest.  a symlin, analogous to a Wondows shortcut, points to the right place with this setup.

a hard link, analogous to to the "hardlink" that can be creaed on NTFS with fsutil, is much less common, but easy for us to make accidentally thanks to the wonderfully obscure syntax of Unix commands. this would not be an installer bug, but could result in similar symptoms.

the wonder and mystery of shell commands in pictures: https://xkcd.com/1168/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.