how do I start my own group

tinalynn1 Brandi

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

8 answers to this question

Anyone can create a group in Second Life, but remember:

• It costs L$100 to create a group.
  • Any group that has less than two members for 48 hours is automatically disbanded.

When you create a group, you automatically become the group's owner.  That is, you will be assigned the Owners role.

Process

To create a group:

1. Choose Communicate > Groups or right-click on your avatar and choose My Groups.
  2. Click the + button then choose New Group...
  3. Enter the name of the group.  The name must be at least four and less than 36 characters long.  Every group name must be unique in Second Life; you won't be allowed to create a group that has the same name as an existing group.
  4. Optionally, create a group insignia (image) by clicking on the image thumbnail and then choosing a texture from your inventory.
  5. Optionally, write a brief description of the group.
  6. To make the group open (anyone can joing without an invitation) select Anyone can join.  If you don't select this, then only those invited will be able to join.
  7. If you want the group to have a cost to join, select Cost to join and choose a number of L$.
  8. Select the group's maturity rating
  9. Click Create Group and confirm your choice when prompted.

After you create a group, one of the first things you will want to do is to set up roles and abilities. See Creating new roles for more information.

32px-KBcaution.png Important: Once you create a group, you cannot change its name.  So be certain of the name you choose, since you won't be able to rename it!
  • Like 2

Two points to add to Rolig's excellent advice:

You need, as she said, two people to keep the group alive.  But they don't have be DIFFERENT people.  You can use your own alternate account ("alt") to hold the necessary second group membership.  In fact, I recommend this.  If you also never ever assign anyone else the Owner role except you and your alt, you will be sure of maintaining control of your group, whatever happens.

Secondly. the group ability "share group dividends and liabilities" is on by default for all group roles.  I suggest that you DISABLE this for everyone except the Owner role, for two reasons.

First, if your group owns land and pays a weekly fee to have the land show in Search, this charge will be split among everyone witth the "share dividends and liabilities" box enabled.  A lot of rank and file groujp members resent this, and will leave your group if they notice they they are being charged a few $L to cover the group's expenses.

And second, if your group owns Mainland, and you sell it, then the proceeds from the land sale are split among all group members who have the "share dividends and liabilities" box checked.  A lot of land owners have been distressed to find that their profitable sale has been split with a couple of hundred other people.

I could not get pass step 1

here is what I have tried so far ,,,,

The first thing I did was to choose Communicate at the top of the S,L window and then a window saying"PEOPLE" in the right hand corner of the window

and the group Tab is high lighted but there no "New group " tab or any thing to click on just blank space under all the tabs.

And I tried doing the same thing by "Right clicking" on my Avatar. then clicking where it say "My Groups" but the same thing happens there too.

so what am i doing wrong??

Good question. I am using Firestorm myself. When I open the Groups window, either by right clicking on myself or by using the Communications menu and selecting Groups ( or CTRL+Shift + G) , I have a nice button that says "Create ..." . I am assuming that if your viewer does not have a "+" symbol to click, Linden Lab has replaced it with something like my "Create ... " button and hasn't changed their instructions.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3721 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.