Starting a thread during a spam attack.

Kenbro Utu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"the anti-spam facility for this forum software activates when the site is under attack from a bot spammer. If you post during an attack then you get caught up in the anti-spam detector automagically

when that happens then you (your IP address) gets re-directed by the anti-spam software to the actual LL login page. this happens often bc of all the attacks on here"

I just tested this, during a spam attack.  Lets see what happens. 

ETA: Absolutely nothing happens.  No redirection, no signing in again.  It just simply posted.  If this software has such an anti-spam tactic, it is severely broken.  

There are a few different anti-SPAM detection techniques. The few I trip over all the time are the

1)  "Duplicate" Post Catcher - Where posting the exact same response will get you that 60 minute time out in the corner for the exact text of the response. I usually trigger this when having to post those "Duplicate of Thread URL" on a multiple post by an OP of the same general question.

2) Forbidden Character Catcher - Where the "evil character for certain "c/k" sounds and "..'s"  over a "u" will trigger the try again message.

I've posted during a SPAM storm many many times with no issues whatsoever.

That thread is not related to what you think it is, it's also not related to your other two posts in the other thread about this same topic. Why you're attributing them to one another, is beyond me. The issues people were having had nothing to do with a spam filter not allowing them to do anything without logging in, or redirecting them to login before completing any actions. It had nothing at all to do with any anti-spam or anti-bot program in place, the bug was at the actual login process. And, not surprisingly, the JIRA about not being able to login(which was the actual problem) was closed, though you can still read them-well, all of them were. You can find all the JIRAs through that link by visiting the related ones through the very first link. You'll note every single one of them has to do with NOT being able to login.

It's still not the same problem, not related to phishing, and not some anti-spam thing in place that magically shows up when the spam does preventing people from logging in, or, even worse, logging their IP address as a "bot" until it finds out otherwise. That's why your statements make no sense to people. You're tying two different issues to one another as if they are one in the same, and they aren't.

Kenbro Utu wrote:

irihapeti wrote:

the discussion is here

I wanted to post with a new thread to test out the theory that posting during a spam attack would cause a redirect, not simply reply to an existing thread.  

Just FYI... the thread to which this poster linked is an old thread which, I can only imagine, they thought would prop up the posting-during-spam theory which they posted to the "Is this phishing" thread... it does not.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3733 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.