I'm New. Where is everybody?

50cabbages

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

50cabbages wrote:

I just joined today, and every world I have visited so far has had very few to zero people, and most didn't chat much.

I was just inworld, and a lot of people on my friends list were logged in, but of course, they're not all in the same place.  The SL grid is huge!  There's mainland, with multiple contients and private islands all over. 

There's also the timezone issue, asit could be you visited places where the locals are mostly on a different time zone.  SL is an international community, with timezones from all over.

Pull up the SL map in your veiwer when you're inworld, the green dots are people.  Click the map and teleport there.

Also, use search to find places that you're interested in.  Just finding a bunch of people does not good if they're not the kind of people you're interesting in meeting.

I guess by "worlds" you mean the regions. One region is a square area 256 meters x 256 meters in size. In SL there are about 30000 regions. (In general speech people often call a region as: sim).

Well, on this page you can see how many people are online (total number of people logged in to the whole SL grid):
http://secondlife.com/httprequest/homepage.php

Look at the end there where it says: "inworld" - after that there is a number telling how many are online at that moment.

The number of people varies a lot depending on time of the day. It can vary roughly from about 30000 to 60000 or even higher. For example when it is from late evening to early morning hours (central european time) there are about 50000 to 60000 online. Whereas when it's daytime (late morning to afternoon central European time) there are less people online.

Again the world map shows where there are crowds of people gathering. The more green dots the more people. When you hover your mouse on a region in the map for a while it will actually show the number of people in that region.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3768 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.