Inventory suggestion for Linden Labs

Elzbiet Meili

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear Linden Labs,

It just occurred to me that I often sort through similarly-names items on my own computer by simple comparison of file size.  I'm sure I'm not the only long-time user with 17,000+ items-  most of which so old that I'll never use again- who has inventory management as #1,337 on their to-do list.  This is a hugely daunting project, but would go much more quickly if I could see file sizes in the hover text in my inventory window. Better still, please include a date- created or modified, either would work.

Sincerely,

Elzbiet Meili,

Skyhighatry Designs

Elzbiet Meili wrote:

Better still, please include a date- created or modified, either would work.

The inventory window has a feature like that, although it doesn't actually show the date directly and it works on a folder by folder basis. Anyway, here it is (it sorts by the date the objects entered your inventory btw):

InventorySort.png

I agree, plenty of room for improvement in the inventory department...

Elzbiet Meili wrote:

Dear Linden Labs,

It just occurred to me that I often sort through similarly-names items on my own computer by simple comparison of file size.  I'm sure I'm not the only long-time user with 17,000+ items-  most of which so old that I'll never use again- who has
inventory management
as #1,337 on their to-do list.  This is a
hugely daunting
project, but would go much more quickly if I could
see file sizes in the hover text in my inventory window
. Better still, please include a date- created or modified, either would work.

Sincerely,

Elzbiet Meili,

Skyhighatry Designs

I don't see how sort by file size really gives any advantage over sort by name unless you have the same item with different names but if it works for you, great.

I leave my Inventory set at 'sort by name,'  Just in the daily course of using my inventory I readily see and zap duplicates.

It would be nice to be able to isolate a specific date range if you just want to do a blanket get rid of anything over such and such an age. 

Regardless, inventory management will always be an ongoing task.

Thank you Oz.. I concur.  

And yes, I know about sorting via name or date.  That's all well and good, but...

As for viewing by file size..  The way I see it, I have a zillion empty boxes  and folders that once had a no-copy item that is long since gone into some build.  If I could easily see file size in a folder, I could tell quickly if it were empty, or just had one notecard, or obviously the size would be larger if there were still a bunch of graphical objects in there.  I would not have to place a box on the ground just to see that it no longer contains anything, so a step or two is saved, just like that!  This is by no means a bug complaint; it's just an idea for what would help me manage my inventory more efficiently.  That is all!  I will still go make a suggestion inthe Jira...

Cheers!

-Elz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3804 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.