Every time I buy anything it gets lost - "cannot request selected inventory"

MiuKitten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The title says it all. Whenever I am shopping in world lately, the money is taken, but the items I request never arrive. The pop up allowing me to accept or decline them shows up but as soon as I click "accept" the error message pops up. The items do not go into inventory or into trash. I've tried restarting, clearing cache, going to a different sim, parking in the same sim for a while, using different computers, different internet locations (home, McDonald's, friends homes) and alternate accounts with no resolution. I've been using SL for five years without this problem and now it's happening every single time. My internet is strong (57m up 13 down on average, sometimes better) and I have a good Asus gaming computer that's done fine on SL for three months and is well protected with McAfee and all. Any ideas? I've decided to cash out my L$ since I've now lost over $50 USD from this. I always follow up with sellers but usually the replacement gets lost too, and some have a policy of not redelivering or responding even though I always include my transaction history from the main site.

My first advice would be to enlist a confederate (or an alt) to help you test this without your actually having to spend any L$s on each test. Or, for that matter, freebies should fail, too, if purchased the same way (presumably from a vendor that you "Pay" rather than an object that you directly "Buy"). So you don't need to cash-out any L$s (and pay the LindeX fee for that), if we eventually figure out what's going wrong.

Oh, and to that: Can you use Help / About to give us configuration details of your installation?  And this is using a Linden viewer, right?

Yes, there have been some inventory system problems -- all of us have experienced them -- but they don't cause failures every time, as the OP describes, constantly, for all that time to test all those viewer configurations at all those locations on all those accounts. So the OP must be experiencing something very, very different from the problems the rest of us have been having.

Some reports seem to suggest that specific accounts are having very much worse problems, which might make sense if those accounts have corrupted inventories. The thing is, however, the OP here reports experiencing the same complete failure on multiple accounts, and the odds of that happening due to corrupted inventory seem vanishingly remote, so I've been hoping something else would emerge to explain it.

I should explain that I wasn't suggesting that buying freebies would have a better result, only that it was a way to keep testing things without having to spend any L$s. (I mean, cashing-out L$s just pays Linden Lab a LindeX commission -- 3.5%, as I recall -- basically rewarding them for poor service. They actually make more profit on that 3.5% than on the slightly higher fee charged on Marketplace purchases.)

[ETA: However, that's a result I hadn't expected, that even just directly "Buy"-ing a box cause the error; I'd guessed it only happened when using "Pay" (which needs that separate "Accept" dialog). This confirms that the problem really is in the recipient's inventory itself, not something weird happening in the UI, so that's a bit of progress. I guess my next suggestion would be to try it with a completely brand new alt account, on the theory that there's something shared among the apparently corrupted inventories of all those accounts the OP has already tested. Ultimately, however, I think this is going to require filing a support case with LL.]

• Have you checked your Recent Items folder, Miu?
  • What's the exact wording of the error message?
  • Your money isn't lost necessarily. Just check your account  history and contact the merchant. If they are cool people they willl reimburse you and maybe conduct a test of their vendors.
  • I'm all against anti-virus software but they hardly ever cause problems in SL. If it's anything to do with your connection it's much rather your firewall blocking delivery from SL.
  • Also usual Terms and Conditions do apply ... as always: don't use wireless,  stick around the vendor until item is delivered and don't TP away immediately after payment. And never, never ever, go on with your shopping spree before your current problem isn't solved.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3751 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.