Blender......but not as we know it !

Aquila Kytori

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Too bad it doesn't provide any information on what plugin it is, or if its going to be released :( 
Though really neat way of creating interior design~ I'll have to stick with modular building until this is released :P

Unfortunately making it all look as nice as his final render would require some time baking normal and spec maps. And how would we add our own components etc? Following for updates on the project :P

It is not an addon as far as we can tell. It looks pretty much like the creator of this video has taken Blender and made his own program out of it. At least he tells the world it is based on Blender. But there is no connection to future blender development yet.

So... as long as the creator does not talk with Blender and as long as he does not publish his work, this will just remain a teaser video.

However you might also find this page interesting from a company named Microvellum...:

[EDIT]: Microvellum has taken their video offline ... So forget the link i posted previously. The video from Andrew Peel is still available (and nothing wrong with it)

If you look at the header within Andrew Peel's video you can see he's using a beta version of Microvellum's software.  By posting this video he is apparently seeking feedback to see if there's sufficient interest in the features prior to making an add-on available to the Blender community.

Personally I find many specialized plug-ins initially appear very attractive, but in practice they take too much time to learn, to memorize the features and to become comfortable with the specialized menus which add complexity to an already feature rich program.  

Some plug-ins, however, like Avastar, are multi-purpose and are worth the investment and time taken to learn the features.  There's a limit however to how many of these very specialized tools one can adopt and integrate into one's workflow without becoming over-burdened.

Just my 2 lindens on the matter.

I would think that the license that comes with the software will play a part in how useful this will be for SL building.  This obviously uses prebuilt models for features such as appliances, windows, doors etc., so it would depend on if the license even allows you to upload them into a 3d environment like SL and use them for personal or commercial use.  The appliances in the demo are brand named appliances too, so the manufacturer of those appliances would have to allow it also, if you included them. 

I agree with you. They may improve and expand what they offer in a release though.  What the vid shows is more or less a prototype.

I wonder if you would be able to create your own models though and add them to this to use with various projects.  For instance build cabinet units that you could drag and drop into different configurations for kitchens in different houses.  Or various styles of windows to have in 'stock'. 

That's more the way I thought this application could possibly  be used in the future.

At the end of the first video he said :

15:20  " These tools were designed for interior designers but can easily be extended to design architectural exteriors or even an automated way of doing level design for video games. "

At the moment it is orientated towards high quality rendering but imagine another developer does decide to make a version especially for low poly video games. Once the particularities (if any) or creating objects for the libraries is made known I would imagine many Blender users offering meshes for others to use just like they do now at  http://www.blendswap.com.

The reason I thought this relevant to SL was because recently , like in the last 6 months I have come across a few people on the beta grid trying to upload meshes created in Sketchup. They have all said that they have tried Blender but couldn't get along with the User Interface.

When I first saw this video it was these people I was thinking of. They have ideas of what they want but are having trouble creating them. A version orientated towards Low Poly video games would surely be of interest to them ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Pamela Galli wrote:

While the render was very impressive, I did not think the actual models used very good. I would not be interested in using any of them unless they upgraded considerably.

You have to give them time. 

Starting with a table .......... a chair ....... a   ........   well its smart furniture and no UV unwrapping to do :)

• Like 1

Lovely. That's the sort of thing parametric mesh would make possible for inworld building with mesh, as has been discussed here ages ago. It would work with local rendering while you build. followed by the usual upload process when you have it finished. Almost enoughy to make me want to set up to compile my own viewer to put this in.

• 4 weeks later...

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I agree with you. They may improve and expand what they offer in a release though.  What the vid shows is more or less a prototype.

I wonder if you would be able to create your own models though and add them to this to use with various projects.  For instance build cabinet units that you could drag and drop into different configurations for kitchens in different houses.  Or various styles of windows to have in 'stock'. 

If you listen to the videos, that is exactly what is possible. The cabinets are just assets. Much like you would create model assets for particle systems in Blender, I would think you would do the same for these design assets.

Pamela Galli wrote:

While the render was very impressive, I did not think the actual models used very good. I would not be interested in using any of them unless they upgraded considerably.

What would be interesting, is to design something similar for SL. So, the user just gets this rezzer box with a hud, and they can design their own kitchen from scratch.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3705 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.