Unable to log in. It has been few years since been in SL,

LiLWayne Jupiter

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Yes been trying to log in downloaded the SL viewer(new) but says unable to connect with server.  My ? is since been some years since last been on have the deleted me in world enven though info is still there even log in info on the secondlife web site?

Okay I actually get Login Failed (waiting for server respone)  How do I change where I come in second life at as figure region may been is no longer there.  I see no where to change it.  

5 answers to this question

No.  If you can log in here, your account is still active.  However, you need to update your viewer software.  Download the latest from the "Download Second Life" link at the bottom of this page, or try one of the many popular third party viewers like Firestorm or Singularity.  For best results, follow the instructions for a CLEAN INSTALL.

Since you get the "unable to connect with a server" message, the problem could also be that the region where you are trying to log in no longer exists, or is temporarily offline.  Try setting your log in location to Heckendorf, Smith, or Pooley.

You may also have to upgrade your computer.  A lot of graphics improvements have been made since you have been away, and Second Life requires a powerful graphics card, especially with the higher end functions enabled.

It may well be something very simple, like a firewall.  Have you made an exception for your SL viewer in both your firewall and your Anti-virus routine?  If not, they may block your access.  If you're on a college campus or in a corporate setting, the syste, may have its own blocks set.  (After all, colleges and businesses prefer to have people use their networks for study or work.  :smileytongue: )

If that's not your problem, try rebooting your router and then logging in to a safe, quiet sim like Pooley or Furball where the servers can pay more attention to you personally.

LiLWayne Jupiter wrote:

[ .... ]

Okay I actually get Login Failed (waiting for server respone)  How do I change where I come in second life at as figure region may been is no longer there.  I see no where to change it.  

When you're looking at the login screen, you should find a dropdown menu, probably just to the right of where you enter your password (depending on the viewer).  That menu gives you three choices to log in at: (1) your last location, (2) your home, or (3) some other location.  Choose that third option and type in one of the sim names we gave you.  All are empty mainland sims managed by Linden Lab.

EDIT:  It occurs to me that you may have been here last as a teen, when there was still a Teen SL grid.  That could explain why you can't find an old sim too.  Everything is on the main grid (Aditi) now.

LiLWayne Jupiter wrote:

Go to Me/Preferences at the top left of your screen.  In the General tab of Preferences, there is an option to include your Home location, Last Location, or other location on the log in screen.  Check the "Show on Login" box, then click OK to save the preferences.  Now close the log-in screen, then  open it again.  You should now see a small place in the lower left, next to where you enter your password, that says "start at".  Select <type region  name> and then type Heckendorf.  Log in.  You should be standing at the bottom of an ocean.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.