screen goes black

Jerilynn Lemon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Apologies if this has been covered and I missed it in search.

There are times when my SL experience goes well and times when in the middle of it all, the laptop screen goes black. I'm force to hold the on/off button down to turn the computer off and restart.

My specs:

HP Pavilion g6-1d21dx. (g6 notebook)

Processor: AMD A6-3420M APU witj Radeon HD Graphics 1.50 Ghz

RAM 4.00 GB (3.48 usable)

64 bit

Firestorm (with Singularity for back up. FS does have its moments). The same happens on Singularity too.

I run SL on it on AC power, it runs great (with some expected lag) then the screen dumps (times of blackness occurring varies). It does feel hot at the external monitor output, but when I use it on full battery power, no problems, other than the battery getting low in about 90 minutes.

I've reset my FS to default settings thinking maybe I'm overdriving the graphics chip.

Can anyone suggest a median setting I could use to minimize the black screen effect.

Maybe dumping the proverbial cache could help?

4 answers to this question

I think you're right about the GPU load, it sounds like overheating to me. It could also be an overloaded power supply.

Assuming it's overheating....

Like Steph suggested, make sure there is no built up dust blocking your cooling.

You could buy a cooling pad, compatible with your laptop.

Lower your graphic settings, especially draw distance.

If you're running windows, turn off all fancy features, like aero.

Set your graphics card to performance instead of quality (I'm not sure how to do that with a Radeon card)

Always monitor your temperatures. There are plenty of free programs for that like Speedfan, Realtemp, Speccy etc etc.

Clearing your cache will make your graphics card work harder, at least until it has downloaded all those textures again.  Never empty your cache unless there's a good reason to do it.  (This is not one.)  A large, full cache is WAY better than a small, empty one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3905 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.